Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: controll system

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default controll system

    driving,

    the driving the in the simulator is different from how most robots are going to be controlled, is there, or can you add, an option to have a dual joystick system, such as:

    A=back left
    Q=forward left
    E=forward right
    D=back right

    and is there a way to change the control for some robots? For example, on siege tower (i think its called) (the tall one) can you add an option to change controls,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: controll system

    This is probably one of our most requested features (having the ability to change controls, etc), so I would hate that pretty high on our todo list.

    Thank you for your feedback.
    5th Gear: FIRST Robotics Match Simulator
    Developer

    Lockheed Martin Employee

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: controll system

    gm - Please post a copy of your request in the Features Wish List thread we already created for you/everyone to use when you want to suggest an improvement - Keeping them in one spot will help us - Blake
    A Triangle Fraternity member and a 5th Gear programmer
    Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: controll system

    Quote Originally Posted by gorillamonky View Post
    driving,

    the driving the in the simulator is different from how most robots are going to be controlled, is there, or can you add, an option to have a dual joystick system, such as:

    A=back left
    Q=forward left
    E=forward right
    D=back right

    and is there a way to change the control for some robots? For example, on siege tower (i think its called) (the tall one) can you add an option to change controls,
    just use xpadder for joysticks it adjusts the output of the joystick to the keyboard controls.

    http://www.xpadder.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: controll system

    Quote Originally Posted by Expo. View Post
    just use xpadder for joysticks it adjusts the output of the joystick to the keyboard controls.

    http://www.xpadder.com
    Expo - I thnk that you are missing the point. No matter what keyboard command you link to an Xbox handheld controller, our software is only going to pay attention to the keyboard commands we programmed into it. None of those keyboard commands give you the sort of "Tank Drive" control that gorillamonkey is asking for.

    To give him that ability we would (will?) have to revise the software and teach it to pay attention to the new keystrokes. After that, somone could use xpadder, if they wanted to use a handheld controller instead of a real keyboard. It does look like a useful tool.

    Blake
    A Triangle Fraternity member and a 5th Gear programmer
    Thank You! to Lockheed Martin for their very generous support of 5th Gear, and FIRST/Vex Robotics!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: controll system

    Quote Originally Posted by gblake View Post
    Expo - I thnk that you are missing the point. No matter what keyboard command you link to an Xbox handheld controller, our software is only going to pay attention to the keyboard commands we programmed into it. None of those keyboard commands give you the sort of "Tank Drive" control that gorillamonkey is asking for.

    To give him that ability we would (will?) have to revise the software and teach it to pay attention to the new keystrokes. After that, somone could use xpadder, if they wanted to use a handheld controller instead of a real keyboard. It does look like a useful tool.

    Blake
    i was just saying while they try to impliment a change in controls that is just one way to drive with a joystick

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,020

    Default Re: controll system

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielbaskar View Post
    Thanks for your valuable information.
    Be careful about using what you find on this thread - it is seven years old. Things change a lot.
    FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
    FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
    Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •