Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where has the GP gone?

Default Where has the GP gone?

Doesn't anyone have questions about GP's?
    With some of the questions I have seen on Delphi and the FIRST forums, it seems like there should be some discussion on what it means.
    As Mentor, this was one of the main reasons I joined, to help encourage the courtesy and team work the are a part of Gracious Professionalism.
    So what does GP mean to you?
    Keith Horn
    Mentor FRC#1294 - Top Gun
    www.kamocat.com
    Hornworks contributor

Arrow Re: Where has the GP gone?

Good question...I am hoping many folks will see and know what GP is thruout their involvement with FIRST and their lives.
    One thing it has always meant to me while on the Field is I try to Never yell at anyone......ok ok a WHoo Hoo to get their attention. But you know what I mean, just talk and suggest they set up here or move off the field soon please, for example. This style (GP) has worked well over the years helping on the field.
    Off the Field too . Good luck this season.
    Brogan , Orange And Roomba guy In Seattle. Field Supervisor this season seen at auditing in San Deigo Portland, Seattle, Spokane, and CMP St. Louis Curie? Home turf = The BIG BALL MARS via A Roomba Robot or two? or so

Default Re: Where has the GP gone?

GP is a guide for your own behavior, not a ruler to measure someone else.

Professional to me means that, even though we are in a fun build and competition setting, you act like you would in the office. You don't belittle others. You don't curse. You don't insist on your own way.

Gracious - that's how you react to situations. You accept when things go wrong. You don't sulk or pout. You don't argue with refs, event staff, inspectors or neighboring teams in the pits. You cheer when another team wins the award you were hoping for your team.

Before admission into the high school I graduated from and have been working on frc with for 8 years, we had to write a paper on what integrity meant to us. It was a good way to have students think about our choices as we progress through our day. In short, doing the right thing no matter who if anyone is watching. We have all been to events where you don't see a student in the pit but see numerous adults tinkering away on the bot. We've all seen some amazing robots that you look at and can't help but think that the students didn't design it. Its hard to make the transition from honest rookie team to player at a regional when you see this all occuring. Do you play by rules and come up short to what appears to be a professionally designed robot? Do u join the adult frc teams that disguise themselves as student teams? Its hard to put a stop on these activities that cause us to lose hope for gracious procesionalism. My team has lost mentors who couldn't stand going to events with adult teams and coming up short. We've lost students who didn't want to finish around the bottom. Its hard to see.

I will end with what I hope to be an inspirational story for every team out there. I was on the team the last 3 years of high school. I joined knowing nothing about tools or building. I was good at legos and math but never got a chance to explore them hands on. My senior year we didn't get choosen by an alliance at our regional. I came back the next year to coach ftc and be a frc mentor? We didn't sacrifice our gracious professionalism, we had no real engineering mentors, no big sponsor. The team works every summer to raise money for the program rather than big sponsorship. It humbles us. In return every year since 2006 we have improved. Last year we were ranked 6th at the regional. Again no big sponsor. No cad design. Students working hard and getting results.

This program got me into engineering and operations research which im in school currently. This program allowed me to meet friends that after 8 years we still talk. This program gave me so much and I give back annually with the team. If your wondering if you need to sacrifice gracious professionalism to win don't. Sometimes the best and biggest wins are off the field and never presented a medal. Sometimes they just make you better.

Excuse me Paul, but none of your post has anything to do with GP as far as I can see. And I can't see any rules being broken either.

Listen to Dave Lavery about mentoring, inspiration and learning sometime.

Your right. In 8 years I've never listened to him once lol. I never said rules were broken but I think some teams do some shady things. I think that ties into gp.

To me, Gracious Professionalism means arriving at the competition and knowing winning isn't the most important thing, and being more enthusiastic about the teams one could help to get on the field and enjoy the game when they're having trouble.

It means not hiding your ideas when another team arrives at your school or workshop, but share ideas with them while helping them come up with a design of their own.

Gracious Professionalism means FIRST is not about the robots =).

---------------------

Amit Galor,
    SteamPunk #1577

Quote Originally Posted by Amit Galor View Post
    To me, Gracious Professionalism means arriving at the competition and knowing winning isn't the most important thing, and being more enthusiastic about the teams one could help to get on the field and enjoy the game when they're having trouble.

It means not hiding your ideas when another team arrives at your school or workshop, but share ideas with them while helping them come up with a design of their own.

Gracious Professionalism means FIRST is not about the robots =).

---------------------

Amit Galor,
    SteamPunk #1577
    I totally agree with this! In the past years, our team has worked together with our other two high school teams in the district. We've placed well and poorly, but none of it mattered because we had fun and met many other teams that were fabulous! Everyone always helps us, and being the small team we are, we're very grateful. Every year we meet new friends, and it's always the best time of year when robotics season comes!

-Platy(Pi) #2927

It never left!
    My website is here.

To spam, evidently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information