Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken nxt brick

Default broken nxt brick

I thought I saw an earlier post dealing with nxt brick and the display not working and that they sent them to lego company and they were replaced. Please help--I have 4 bricks that are "dead" and if possible would love to get them repaired. THANKS!

Default Re: broken nxt brick

http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=17990

"I just got off the phone with LEGO Tech Support (877-680-2800) who confirmed what I read online - that LEGO will repair (actually, 'replace' I was told) these units free of charge even if they were purchased many years ago. Just need to ship them to Kansas (no proof of purchase date needed). I was told a 2-3 week turn around time is typical."

Is it that the screen isn't working or are they not getting power? If it's a power issue, have you checked to make sure the batteries are making good contact? Sometimes the springs inside the battery compartment get bent out of position and need to be adjusted.

Edited to add: did you try the reset button (inside a peg hole on the back of the NXT near where the USB cable connects to the brick). Also, did you try reloading the firmware?
    Last edited by Robomom; 10-17-2011 at 08:24 PM.

The screen failure can be detected as independent of other failure types because the NXT works in all other respects. That is, if connected to your computer, it will receive compiled programs, display information in the connection panel, and accomplish download and run assignments. Sometimes the failure shows a screen that flickers with wildly varying horizontal lines. Most of mine that have failed just refused to show any display information.
    Bill Bourn
    Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
    Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

I have had bricks replaced twice by Lego Education with the failure described by Bill. When it was in the summer, turnaround was great - less than 2 weeks. When I sent one last fall midseason, not so good. Have a backup plan if you need them for this season. It took at least 6 weeks last year even though I was told 2 weeks the day I sent it in. I'm sure there are times of higher demand, so plan accordingly.
    Monica

I saw a youtube video for fixing this problem. Apparently there is a bad soldering job on the connections from the daughter-board to the screen. Re-heating the solder on those joints is enough to fix the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZNc7tPop0

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt Robotics View Post
    I saw a youtube video for fixing this problem. Apparently there is a bad soldering job on the connections from the daughter-board to the screen. Re-heating the solder on those joints is enough to fix the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZNc7tPop0
    I've read elsewhere that it actually is a problem with the connection of the flexible connection between the display and the printed circuit board, and that by trying the above resolder fix you often fix the problem just because you moved this flexible connection (not because of cold solder joint).

I've tried the resolder fix in 3 units and had mixed results - it worked the first time on each, but when they went bad again within a year, I could not fix them.

Just call LEGO Customer Service - they will replace them with brand new units no matter how old they are. Mine were returned within 2 weeks in early October (borrowed bricks from students to get us through the season).

Merle
    Granby Red Blox - FLL Coach
    Jr Granby Red Blox -JrFLL Coach
    Granby GRUNTS #3146 - FRC Mentor

Thank you guys SO much. I just got off the phone with them and the only way it could have been easier would be if they came to my house to get the brick themselves. I really appreciate this thread.

My MDP NXT brick has gone dark. The sodering fix didn't work. It is a sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Hystad View Post
    My MDP NXT brick has gone dark.
    What does "MDP" mean? The Google says "Mother of Divine Providence" but I suspect that's not what you meant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information