Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using PPT in the Presentation

Default Re: Using PPT in the Presentation

esanjays, how did the presentation turn out? My team presented both ways, once with the ppt and once without the ppt. Since they didn't have to worry if the right slide was being projected, they were much more confident without it.

This is the first year we haven't used any electronics (aside from a few iPhones as props). The pressure has been off of us considerably. Just a few poster boards, and our skit. Personally, I've never wanted to risk the notion of relying on anything like powerpoint. Posterboards are a very suitable alternative. Plural -- I encourage my team to use 2 or 3 poster boards. One for pictures that shows where we've been and what we've done. One for a sales pitch that lists in clear detail our problem, solution, and research sources, and even a third (or 4th) as skit props. They are super easy to carry, super easy to set up, and when the kids drop them (because the kids WILL drop them), they don't smash all over the floor into little pieces. In previous years, we relied on iPhone speaker systems, and even those presented enough of a challenge to make the presentation a bit stressful (required plugging in, then activating at the right time, etc). I think a good presentation can be done w/o the use of anything fancy. Best of luck!

Is the presentation presented only in front of the judges? Can teams watch each others presentations?

Quote Originally Posted by mimo View Post
    Is the presentation presented only in front of the judges? Can teams watch each others presentations?
    Depends on your region. In some places judging is open, in others it is closed. Call the tournament director for details about your tournament.

Red face Re: Using PPT in the Presentation

I for one thing ppt can really spice up a presentation. My kids don't use the ppt for showing slides. They use it for establishing a setting for their skit. They never look back at it. This way, when the kids are going from one place to another, they don't need to take a single step!!!

Overall the presentation went well. The kids already had enough to worry about without having to think about running a ppt as well. We're going to state on Saturday and there's lots of room for improvement that doesn't even affect whether or not we had some pretty slides.

I'm happy that we didn't use it since it would probably have caused more distractions. Although photographs and charts might have helped a little I don't think the benefit vs. cost would have been evened out.

If I had a more seasoned team that were confident and knew what they were doing, I would have encouraged it more.
    3rd Year Coach
    Mindstorms Maniacs #1023
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thumbs up Re: Using PPT in the Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by esanjays View Post
    Overall the presentation went well. The kids already had enough to worry about without having to think about running a ppt as well. We're going to state on Saturday and there's lots of room for improvement that doesn't even affect whether or not we had some pretty slides.

I'm happy that we didn't use it since it would probably have caused more distractions. Although photographs and charts might have helped a little I don't think the benefit vs. cost would have been evened out.

If I had a more seasoned team that were confident and knew what they were doing, I would have encouraged it more.
    I 100% agree and share your exact sentiments. Good luck at states!!!

Quote Originally Posted by esanjays View Post

Definitely agreed and I'm happy for you to have a successful presentation without ppt. Good luck.

Although photographs and charts might have helped a little I don't think the benefit vs. cost would have been evened out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information