Thread: What is Frame Perimeter

Default What is Frame Perimeter

I know it sounds like a basic question, but it is keeping my team up at night. Is frame perimeter a physical object or a non-physical area? We can all agree that the frame perimeter is a rectangle whose dimensions are the greatest length and width of the non extendable parts of your robot. The rules state that the bumpers must fully enclose your frame perimeter. According to my definition, if the frame perimeter was a physical object, then the bumpers would have to physically touch the longest and widest sides of your robot. If frame perimeter were non-physical then the bumper has to enclose the imaginary box formed by your longest and widest side.
    As an analogy I want you to picture an opened umbrella as the robot. If the frame perimeter where physical, this would mean that the umbrella must be 2-10 inches off the ground and have the bumpers attached to it. If the frame perimeter was not physical, then the umbrella can be held high in the air as long as there was bumpers at ground level matching its outline.

Default Re: What is Frame Perimeter

Conceptually, the frame perimeter is an invisible convex prism with vertical sides which contains all of your robot, save fastener heads. The competition inspection includes putting your robot in a physical box the size of the largest legal robot, but that's not the same thing.

The shadow of your robot on the ground might not equal the base of your frame perimeter, because it might not be convex. For example, if you have a
    U shaped robot, with nice square corners, the frame perimeter is a rectangular prism. Squares are convex and Us are concave.

If you open an umbrella, and that's the "normal" shape of your robot, then you need bumpers, with rule compliant support, in the bumper zone (even if it is far below the umbrella) that have the same shape. If you have a square shaped robot bumper, then the umbrella is an "appendage" and it has to work within those rules.

This isn't the official question forum, where you only get rule-based answers. Describe what you want to do, and folks can give you opinions (not official answers mind you) about what you want to do.

Default Re: What is Frame Perimeter

Quote Originally Posted by robgit View Post
    I know it sounds like a basic question, but it is keeping my team up at night. Is frame perimeter a physical object or a non-physical area? We can all agree that the frame perimeter is a rectangle whose dimensions are the greatest length and width of the non extendable parts of your robot.
    No, we can't all agree with that. If your robot isn't a rectangle, neither is your frame perimeter. R01-2 gives the definition, and your frame perimeter *is* physical; it's located within the bumper zone.

Quote Originally Posted by robgit View Post
    The rules state that the bumpers must fully enclose your frame perimeter.
    No, the rules state that the exterior vertices of your frame perimeter must be protected by bumpers. See R27 (which, btw, shows a diagram of a non-rectangular robot in one of its examples).
    Mentor: FLL Trailridge Timberbots, FRC Team Titanium (1986)

Thread Information