Thread: Expanding school robotics club

Default Expanding school robotics club

I started a robotics club at school last year (10 sixth graders) and we competed (not so successfully) in the 2011 Food Factor challenge. We learned a lot from the experience though, and interest at school is extremely high. I am expanding the club to include this year's 4th and 5th graders so that they are familiar with things next year and so that the 6th graders (who will be a a different school next year) can help train the newcomers. I will probably try to use some of them as mentors or figure out a way to allow them to remain on the team.

My first concern is robot kits. We only have one Mindstorm Kit, but I suspect we will have enough students to have at least 3 teams next year. Do I need to get a Mindstorm 2.0 kit for each team or should I buy one more, then just add another brick. Money is somewhat of an issue, but I want to see what other clubs with multiple teams do. I assume that whatever I do, I should purchase things through Amazon.com or eBay.
    Last edited by lewigr; 03-03-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: removed email - opted for immediate thread subscription

Default Re: Expanding school robotics club

Congratulations on finishing your rookie season! If you competed in a tournament, then it was a successful season.

I would definitely recommend a complete kit for each team. If your team size is close to the maximum 10 kids, even more kits would be ideal, but I certainly understand the financial constraints. You really need the NXT brick, 3 motors, some sensors, and a variety of other pieces to build a reasonable robot. If you try to acquire those items separately, you will probably find out they cost as much as an entirely new Mindstorms NXT kit.

Thanks. I figured I'd probably be better off with one kit per team. I'll start with a second kit now, then worry about additional kit(s) next year. It appears there is some news about next year's challenge on the FLL site.

Where are you located? The Los Angeles Region has been supported by a grant from Rockwell Collins to help low-income schools join FLL. The grant is only for 1st-year teams with modest assistance to 2nd-year teams.

Perhaps there is a similar program in your region. Contact your FLL Operating Partner for more information.

Randy Kamiya

Thread Information