Thread: Suggested FMS Changes

Default Suggested FMS Changes

I have listed below some things I would like changed in the FMS software to help make our jobs easier. I understand these will take time to be added if at all. I am still making the post so other scorekeepers can weigh in and add any additional items.

Rearrange red driver stations on screen. The blue driver stations are numbered top to bottom and match up with the field since the number 1 blue team is farthest away and 3 is nearest. The red teams are oriented differently on the screen compared to what we see on the field.

Bypass all option. This would be very helpful, especially in Match Test.

Error message on start match when robots are not ready. This suggestion ties in with the last one, a few times we tried to start a match forgetting to bypass teams and thought the computer didnít receive the button press. This could be a buzzer from the scoring table light stand.

Driver station lights show DS or robot issue. It would be nice if the blue or red lights above the driver station would blink a different rate or alternate or do something to indicate if we are waiting on the DS or just the robot. I know this is already on the FTA screen but that is not always pointed towards the side of the field that the team that hasnít connected is on.

Message on FCUI during prestart. Can a message be shown on the blue box when the computer is prestarting so we donít accidentally try to hit Set Audience Screen when the computer is in the process of prestarting? I believe the true issue is prestarting takes too long, but I donít expect to see that change.

More keyboard shortcuts. I might be alone in this but I prefer to use the keyboard instead of the mouse. I would like to be able to do more with the keyboard.

Update team number and card status on head ref screen at the same time. Our head ref was confused when a team was marked as not having a card when the team numbers appeared. It was actually a card left from the previous math that disappeared when prestart was complete.

Add a field clear timer for the head ref. The head ref was told that FMS had a timer that marked two minutes after the field clear so she knows if a time out or backup team request was made in time. We could not find it on FMS and had never heard of it before.

Put field clear (and subsequent timer) on head ref screen. I think this was intended but I wanted to make sure it was mentioned.

Default Re: Suggested FMS Changes

I agree completely with rearranging the red driver stations. Everything else is set up so it's how it looks on the field. Those are swapped.

Thanks very much for this input, I'll add these to our list of potential improvements for the 2013 season. There is are some good ideas here!

As just a very casual observer at only one FRC regional this year, I gotta say Matt - the whole system was neat to watch. I have had some minor software developement involvement with very simple scoring or control systems (non robotics related) and was very impressed with the architecture, the scope of doing these matches consistently all over the country each year, and shear complexity made to look pretty simple.

Can't wait to see what yall come up with in the future. Also interested in thinking about more robust systems for FLL. Sure, just simple scoring, ranking, and display - but maybe expanding into remote display units and on-deck listing systems, etc.

Have a great week next week, and a restful summer!

From the events that I worked, I would like to make two possible suggestions. Maybe it was our AV crews, but they liked to leave the match results up for a bit, and it meant we couldn't hit Set Audience Screen. As a result, the FTAA monitors had the wrong numbers since we didn't want the audience screen to change. I believe the head ref panel would change numbers on pre-start, would that be possible for the field monitor? My other suggestions was right along with that- for bypassed robots, the monitor shows them not connected. Perhaps they could be grayed out or something else so that people don't go looking around the field for them.
    Overall though, I am very impressed with FMS once again. We never once had any PLC problems, maybe 1 or 2 AP restarts and pretty much nothing else!
    --
    Alex Herreid

Quote Originally Posted by aherreid View Post
    From the events that I worked, I would like to make two possible suggestions. Maybe it was our AV crews, but they liked to leave the match results up for a bit, and it meant we couldn't hit Set Audience Screen. As a result, the FTAA monitors had the wrong numbers since we didn't want the audience screen to change. I believe the head ref panel would change numbers on pre-start, would that be possible for the field monitor? My other suggestions was right along with that- for bypassed robots, the monitor shows them not connected. Perhaps they could be grayed out or something else so that people don't go looking around the field for them.
    Overall though, I am very impressed with FMS once again. We never once had any PLC problems, maybe 1 or 2 AP restarts and pretty much nothing else!
    We only lost PLC twice, but it was between matches, and both times it was FMS that was at fault, since restart of the program resolved...

As for the audience screens, most modern AV systems can freeze-frame from an input and hold it as long as they need. They should have been doing that if they were able. As for the field monitor, I agree that should be changed to immediate load the new info as soon as the new match info is loaded in FMS.

Another item I just thought of.

It would be nice if there was a way to mute the output from FMS so we can do testing during the driver meeting in the morning without the field sounds going over the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rtfgnow View Post
    Another item I just thought of.

It would be nice if there was a way to mute the output from FMS so we can do testing during the driver meeting in the morning without the field sounds going over the speakers.
    I'll put this in my notes for 2013, priorities will dictate if this feature will be added. In the meantime, you can select the speaker indicator in the Windows Taskbar and set the audio output to mute when doing these tests.

I just put in my app to volunteer as scorekeeper again this year.
    One thing I thought would be good would this year, if the refs will have their pads again this year like they did last year, is to let the head ref have a button to hold final scoring for deliberation. That will let them keep their scoring pads open to enter or change any of the calls before it's posted. Also, the system could be set to automatically post a screen to AV showing that it's a ref timeout, so no one in the audience will wonder what's going on. That will also avoid posting an incorrect score on the big screen that will be changed later. I had quite a few teams come up and ask about the scoring on their matches where a change had to be made after the scoring screen was displayed.

Thread Information