Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EV3 My Blocks

Default Re: EV3 My Blocks

Don't like the My Block Icons available in EV3 to identify a my block you create? Make your own My Block Icon or edit an existing one.
    My Block Icons are stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS Edu EV3\Resources\MyBlocks\images".
    Look in the folder and find the PolyGroup... .PNG files. They are numbered 000 to 097 and there are 3 associated PNG image files for each number; a Diagram, a Pallet and a Pallet_MouseOver for each one. You will notice that many numbers are missing. Now open the EV3 software, start a new program throw a program instruction on the start icon, select it and go to Tools - My Block Builder. When the My Block Builder opens you see the screen where you can select an Icon for your MyBlock. You will notice 10 empty Icon locations on the bottom row. In the Images folder I copied 070 to 079 (10 numbers, 30 files - the 76 is a duplicate of 076 - do not copy) to a New Folder, renamed them 080 to 089, and edited them with MS Paint (a smiley face and numbers 1 through 9). Then copied them back to the Image folder. Opened the My Block Builder and used the new My Block Icons in a program to test. I'll let the kids edit them with MS Paint to make them look however they want. The Builder PNG image files need to be 34x34 pixels, the two pallet files need to be 25x25 pixels.
    Attachments:
    The Image Folder.jpg shows some of the PNG files I added and how I renamed them 080_MyBlock, 081_MyBlock_1 etc..
    The My Block Builder.jpg shows where the new My Block Icons (080 to 089) were added to the menu of Icons

Dave A
    Coach
    2013-707
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, how do you change the parameters in the my blocks from just "a"?
    JLA

When you have the myblock builder up click on the data plug in the MyBlock image at the top half of the window and select the "Parameter Setup" tab in the bottom have of the window. Enter a name and a default value. Select the "Parameter Icons" tab and you can select a picture. This is documented quite clearly and extensively in the EV3 Help (Help->Show EV3 Help) under Tools->My Block Builder.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 09-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.

I agree that the instructions on how to specify parameters for a My Block at creation time are clear in the documentation. What's not clear, and the point of this thread, is how to add them later, once the block has been created. Is there a way to reopen the My Block editor for an existing block? I've only had success creating new blocks.

I don't think that was jlamd's question.

The answer to changing icons or parameter names AFTER you create a MyBlock is to edit the XML files in the project. This requires opening the project with a tool like WinZip (projects are compressed folders), extracting the files for the MyBlock you want to change (there are two), and putting the modified XML files back in the project.

Or you can one the MyBlock in the EV3 editor. Select the contents, leaving out the start block and input and output parameters, and Building a new MyBlock. I'm getting pretty quick at it.

I'm a rookie coach this year, but I've been tooling around with the software, and it seems to me that double-clicking on the My Block when it's on the canvas allows you to edit all of its parameters. I might be misunderstanding what people are trying to do, but that seemed to do the trick.

What I'm not sure of is if that only allows you to change that particular instance of the My Block, or if it applies those changes to all instances of it.

On NXT-G you can open MyBlocks and change the NAME of input and output parameters. You can also change the icon for the MyBlock. EV3 does not allow this. Once you close the MyBlock builder the interface for the MyBlock is cast in stone.

Changing input parameter VALUES on a MyBlock only affect the one MyBlock. Input parameters wouldn't be very useful if they had to be the same for all instances of a MyBlock.
    Last edited by DeanHystad; 09-27-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpit View Post
    I'm a rookie coach this year, but I've been tooling around with the software, and it seems to me that double-clicking on the My Block when it's on the canvas allows you to edit all of its parameters. I might be misunderstanding what people are trying to do, but that seemed to do the trick.
    I see how you can edit the variable the parameters feed into but I don't seem to be able to find a way to edit anything have to do with the parameters block (the one that appears before the start "block" in the myblock) after creation. Were you able to edit those or just the variable blocks that the wires fed into?
    Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
    Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
    https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
    http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

It was just the wire parameters and the contents of the My Block itself.

I'm having a tough time understanding the disappointment about not allowing changes to a MyBlock's interface. In most text languages I cannot add parameters to functions, nor can I change the function's name. Why do you expect something different from a graphical language?

In LabVIEW you can add inputs and outputs to a vi (their name for a MyBlock) after it is created. This gets me in trouble about as often as it helps me, so I try hard to get the interface right the first time. Renaming inputs or outputs is very safe. Inputs and outputs are more defined by the connector plug position on the block than by name. Deleting inputs or outputs almost always creates a rats next of broken wires that need to be fixed. LabVIEW has something akin to a traditional compiler that reports errors and even jumps you directly to the problem code. EV3 and NXT-G just tell you there is a problem, no description and little indication of what or where the problem is. Given the limitations I am happy to accept the safer, slightly more restrictive tools.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 10-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information