Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EV3 Battery Problem

Default EV3 Battery Problem

I just got my EV3, charged up the battery, pressed the center button and...NOTHING! Well, not quite nothing. The red light flickered for an instant, but not a very satisfying experience. Has anyone else had problems with the new EV3 rechargeable battery? I left the thing plugged in for 4 hours and the red light was off. Did I forget something? My EV3 runs fine on alkalines.

Default Re: EV3 Battery Problem

It takes a lot longer for the EV3 brick to start up than the NXT. Did you notice if the display is reading "Starting..."?

No. I have the brick running on disposable batteries and the behavior with the rechargeable is completely different. Nothing on the screen, no sounds and only a momentary flickering of the red light when I press the button, and sometimes not even that.

LEGO Education is sending me a new battery once they have some in stock. Guess I'll pick up some AA's on the way home tonight.

Apparently there are quite a few bad rechargeable batteries out there. I ordered 4 kits and got 1 bad battery. Another coach in my area got a bad one too.

Make sure you check all your batteries as soon as possible and call LEGO tech support at 866-349-5346 for a replacement if necessary.
    FLL Mentor/Coach 2006-2014
    Founding Mentor for FRC 1759 2006-2012
    FRC Field Supervisor, Los Angeles 2007-2015
    Principal Software Developer, EMC Corp.

As you probably saw, EV3 documentation says it may take an hour of charging the first time. For me it took about 4 hours of charging but then the red blink was replaced by the device coming alive.

Good to know. With the battery installed in the EV3 I charged the battery for about 3 hours and the red led on the battery was off. I removed the battery and left it plugged in for an hour or so with no change. I might try leaving it on overnight and see if that has any effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bananabots View Post
    As you probably saw, EV3 documentation says it may take an hour of charging the first time. For me it took about 4 hours of charging but then the red blink was replaced by the device coming alive.
    I spoke a little too soon. It didn't hold much charge and was back to the red flash mode. The EV3 works great with AAs, however.

Called 866-349-5346 and they are shipping me a new battery pack now. Really easy and friendly.

Same issue, battery slow to charge and nothing but blinking red from the brick. Called Tech Support and they said they would send one out in the next week or two...

I guess is a common issue, I order 5 kits and 2 came with bad batteries. Now just waiting until I get replacements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information