Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! New team - what do we need to purchase??

Default Re: HELP! New team - what do we need to purchase??

Wow, it's now free? Is there a link for the download or do you only get it for free if you ordered the kit after Jan. 1, 2016?

The only difference between home and education versions, as far as programming goes, is that the education version has data logging blocks. I never use them, finding them too restrictive. It is easy enough to roll your own data logging blocks using the file block. As for sensors, if you have the home software version you can download the gyro and ultrasonic blocks from the LEGO website.

In addition to the data logging blocks, the education version has a series of programming exercises that teach you how to use the blocks. I know some coaches who found them useful, but my experience is they are too tedious for young programmers.

I have the education version installed on my desktop at home, and the home version installed on my laptop. I freely move programs between the two without any problems. Once I get past the startup flash screen I don't notice any difference the two versions of software.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 08-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBuilders8265 View Post
    Wow, it's now free? Is there a link for the download or do you only get it for free if you ordered the kit after Jan. 1, 2016?
    I believe anyone can now download and use the software...at least I did. I have a copy on my desktop and laptop. The iPad and Chromebook versions are free also. I think you need to have a Lego ID in order to download the software, but that is free also (they do get your email address that way, but I'm not paranoid about that like some people).

Good to know. We had to pay for it three years ago since we also use some of LEGO education's other educational software during off season(science activity pack). You had to have the educational version of the ev3 software in order to run the science activity pack.

Here is a link to a summary guide my team put together on the differences between the different MINDSTORMS sets that might be useful.

http://ev3lessons.com/translations/e.../EDUvsHome.pdf
    Coach for Not the Droids You Are Looking For (Droids Robotics) since 2011
    Judge at Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open
    Head Referee, Western PA Championships

thanks for the help!

thanks for the help! I hadn't really thought about it before - we will likely have between 7-10 kids.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information