Thread: sucessful mimicry wall builds?

Default sucessful mimicry wall builds?

Just did our qualifying tournament -- our "forklift design" successfully climbed the mimicry wall with the geko attached (basically a forklift with a downward facing hook on top rather than parallel tongs)-- and our robot came in second!!.
    We went through myriad ideas on how to climb the wall, I'm curious to see other successful designs other teams used!!

Default Re: sucessful mimicry wall builds?

A forklift like device using rack and pinion gearing was the most common, but I also saw string wrapped around a spindle pulling on a hook. My favorite was a robot that used inertia to flip over on it's rear, making the robot taller and moving the center of mass forward. It rolled forward using the same drive wheels used during normal motion, hooked the wall with a simple hook connected to the front attachment motor that was used for all the other missions, and pulled itself up. Very elegant and very surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Hystad View Post
    A forklift like device using rack and pinion gearing was the most common, but I also saw string wrapped around a spindle pulling on a hook. My favorite was a robot that used inertia to flip over on it's rear, making the robot taller and moving the center of mass forward. It rolled forward using the same drive wheels used during normal motion, hooked the wall with a simple hook connected to the front attachment motor that was used for all the other missions, and pulled itself up. Very elegant and very surprising.
    very interesting...
    We used a worm gear/medium motor with a forklift... ironically the forlift worked flawlessly, but navigating to the wall proved to be more problematic than we thought -- our wall climb worked once out of three matches, but those points were enough to give us a second place finish in the robot competition (unfortunately that wasn't enough to progress to the next round :-( )

We also used a rack and pinion system. Boys learned a LOT about it! Unfortunately, they experienced Gyro creep EVERY time they attempted this during competition, so they weren't able to get credit for it.

https://youtu.be/BJxnUY5BsTE
    Legolympians - 2009-2015 (retired - joined FRC team 5422 Stormgears)
    Legolicious - 5th year girls team
    Brick Force - 2nd year boys team

2015 - Mass FLL coach of the year.

Thread Information