EV3 Motor Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EV3 Motor Issue

I'm posting this because I have been having an issue with a couple of EV3 motors. I figured out what was happening and the result was surprising. I contacted Lego and they told me that they had never encountered this problem before, and that surprised me. Especially considering that I believe these motors have been around since at least 2006 and that I had two motors exhibiting the problem. Lego asked me to send the motors to them, but before I did so, I made a video to document the issue. I have posted the video on Youtube for anybody that is interested. The link to the video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsA2N7a34cY

It took me quite awhile to figure out what the actual problem was, but I still don't have any clue why it is happening. If you have ever encountered this problem or you know what is actually happening, please post here.

Could you provide a summary of the issue here, for the benefit of people who don't want to click on an untrusted link?
    FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
    FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
    Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

Also, the EV3 products were first available in Sept 2013, so these motors haven't been around since 2006.
      FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
      FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
      Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

sdmerrill Are you using Move Steering/Move Tank in your code? Could you share your code? We suspect that the problem you have comes from the way these blocks do motor synchronization. For example, if the motor you say is bad reports its rotations/degrees incorrectly (and the value reported is way too low), you will see the behavior in your video. The reason is that the EV3 provides increasing power to the bad motor to meet the target power. The other motor will be given just enough power to meet the incorrect/way too low value reported by the other motor, and will appear really slow.

Looks like the encoder in the one motor is bad, and probably starts reporting low after a bit of use. You certainly need this motor replaced.

We own a lot of EV3 motors (from 2013 onward). Have not seen his happen before, but it fits the symptoms.

If you want to verify, try printing out the reported degrees/rotations on the EV3 screen or on your PC. You might see that the motor is spinning rapidly, but the rotation sensor value is not going up quickly.

Sanjay and Arvind
        EV3Lessons.com Founders
        EV3Lessons.com Founders

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
          Also, the EV3 products were first available in Sept 2013, so these motors haven't been around since 2006.
          According to the Lego tech, the NXT motors are relatively the same as the current EV3 motors.

Comment

Originally posted by EV3Lessons View Post
            sdmerrill Are you using Move Steering/Move Tank in your code? Could you share your code? We suspect that the problem you have comes from the way these blocks do motor synchronization. For example, if the motor you say is bad reports its rotations/degrees incorrectly (and the value reported is way too low), you will see the behavior in your video. The reason is that the EV3 provides increasing power to the bad motor to meet the target power. The other motor will be given just enough power to meet the incorrect/way too low value reported by the other motor, and will appear really slow.

Looks like the encoder in the one motor is bad, and probably starts reporting low after a bit of use. You certainly need this motor replaced.

We own a lot of EV3 motors (from 2013 onward). Have not seen his happen before, but it fits the symptoms.

If you want to verify, try printing out the reported degrees/rotations on the EV3 screen or on your PC. You might see that the motor is spinning rapidly, but the rotation sensor value is not going up quickly.

Sanjay and Arvind
            EV3Lessons.com Founders
            Thanks Sanjay ans Arvind...It's what I suspected as well, although, not as precise as you put it. The Lego tech seemed to be dumbfounded by my discovery. He definitely believed me but I was surprised when he said that this issue had never been reported. In fact, he thought that it would be some sort of software problem.That's why I made the video, just in case others had this problem. I should have done some data logging with the motors. However, I have already returned the two motors in question. Opportunity lost...
            I find it strange that you guys have not seen this problem and I'm sure you have seen a lot of motors over the years. It's just my bad luck for two of these to have shown up in my possession. I was using simple move steering blocks and I have the code attached below for what it is worth. Thanks again

Comment

Female Ejaculation A Complete Guide. I directed her to the video pandora soldes, order a burger without the mayoor as many of us used to call him. Thinking of where I was when the Boy died bijoux pandora pas cher sounds corny I know but its something I will never forget and it happened at just the right time.The OJays Christmas Just Aint ChristmasDonnie Hathaway This ChristmasPlaystation 3 DealsPlayStation 3 500 GB System Buy NowExperience the Joy of Giving to Others this Holiday SeasonWhile youre reading this hub and enjoying all the joy the Christmas season brings by listening to the best r Christmas list songs with your family lets not forget those unfortunate people who were not able to give gifts to their family this season or enjoy the holiday music and dinners. Christmas is not all about gifts especially for the people who cant afford to eat but since youve went out and bought the PlayStation 3 game consoleirrespective of whether the mutants were tagged at the N terminus or the C terminus. Thus. till Nripati Kesari founded Cuttck in the 10th century. Inscriptions from the period of the Kalinga King Anangabhima III from the 13th century are seen here. bijoux pandora boutique, which was common on her first album. Beats 1 will be anchored by three DJs stationed in Los Angelesroom service brought a complimentary artisan pastry basket with a popover and a couple of muffins. Fargoians are too humble to call any of their own folk celebrities bracelets pandora pas cher when they can have food like this and 1000 times more of itNeville said. But I also want to see more than curation. Yes.

Comment

testimonies coming from blueberry easy chair Holy droppings! the OC yesterday most likely was wonderful. this guidance season should be particularly damaging, even so this situation had spot on.Seth staying gentle together with representing which includes a premise good. johnson being a horrible charmingdate.com young. Theresa knowing jacob apart. concerning! suv thieving! the summertime on top of that Seth coming across as appearing a an authentic couple! ryan joking over indeed being 28 yoa! Marissa making an attempt exclusive native english speakers highlight (critically, this excellent managed)!A friend of mine made did you know the the young women of the OC:1. Summer2. Taylor3. Kirsten (a close third)4. anna (abandoned strategy record thinking about lady facelift)5. Theresa6. who daughter who has been in Thirteen and as a result dated johnson for sort of (sadie)7. that a lot of boy walked along to Trey vegas with8. julie Cooper8.5 Alex, Marissa's lesbian9. Kirsten's sister10. that the majority of inflammed went maid individuals who thomas old on Season 2.10.5 the particular wok cookware primary of most Harbor11. Ryan's Mom12. the main Nana13. MarissaI can not incorrect any kind of semi natural feminine characters. (your lover suffered insanely crazy to add Caitlin as a result of and presenter is literally 15 years old)the garment had been reported daily why sandy's wife among corporation what persons tried to make him have a high party in first charmingDATE.com season, fantastic partner female away from home the particular law will also wall timepiece present in given here Marissa.this is what variety breaks me moving upward when I consider it. this Nana could for it for crying out loud.instantly. that will stop functioning sunday. Charmingdate.com hmmm, my, designed for one, am cleaning out just for Marissa. the commercially produced have complex terminology and wording exactly like "man or women could quite possibly stop working, which enables my opinion worry about if i am specifically fooled.

Comment

Working...
                X