Surrogate Matches on Match Schedules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrogate Matches on Match Schedules

I'm fairly new to scorekeeping, but one question that nobody has been able answer is whether or not we are supposed to include the columns in the schedule that specify where surrogates are. I don't feel that they should be included, but I'm not sure if FIRST wants them included for some reason. I remember that most of the regionals I've attended in the past had included them on the schedule, but it can and has caused problems. I've witnessed teams purposely lose a match in which they were a surrogate in order to lower the rank of a team on their alliance in the match. I don't feel this is in the spirit of FIRST, which is why I'm surprised that the surrogate matches have been included in the schedule for so long.

Re: Surrogate Matches on Match Schedules

I'm not a scorekeeper, but in the past it seemed that teams needed to know when it was a surrogate match. Else, when they won they wanted to know why their ranking didn't go up.

One side effect of the district system with 12 matches each - no surrogates!

Comment

I understand that it can be confusing for teams if they win a match and their rank doesn't change, but they can always ask someone for clarification. If a competition were to have surrogate matches, there likely would only be a few, so it's not like people would constantly be bothering volunteers to explain why their rank didn't change. To me, having a team be a little confused about their rank is a much better scenario than having a team take advantage of a surrogate match to lower the ranking of another team (which I feel is against the spirit of FIRST).

Comment

Additionally, if it doesn't click to a team that their rankings didn't go up because they must have had a surrogate match, then they probably don't know about surrogate matches and most likely don't know how to identify them on the schedule.

Comment

As I recall, when there is a surrogate match, it's the team's 3rd match. So with only 2 rounds completed (some teams maybe 3), a team playing as a surrogate wouldn't know which team to hurt and which to help.

Comment

Working...
          X