Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week Three notes

I only have a few new things to point out from week three

The biggest one was that there was a point where I had to go edit a match (74) after it was committed. I'd already prestarted the next match (75) before the head ref decided to change it, so we agreed to wait until that match was done and go back to do the edit. After match 75, I edited the match, I think I added a truss or an assist to cycle 4. I forget which. I saved the change and then went back to match play. Once it loaded and said the ranks were re-calculated, I prestarted match 76 and driver stations and robots started connecting. The light never turned green, but stayed red and blue, even though all robots were connected and the balls were all submitted. (It also didn't display rankings on audience screen.) I had to step back out and re-prestart to fix this.

I had a couple of times where the FCUI would decide to "reboot" itself, and went back to saying USFIRST.ORG on all the displays, so I had to use the GUI FCUI to proceed. (Most embarrassingly this happened one time as the emcee said "3-2-1 GO!" and I couldn't start! It was only a couple second delay, but I noticed it and the emcee and FTA noticed, and the FTA checked with me on what was going on.) (I also had half of one of the displays on the FCUI go out part way through the day on Saturday and notified the FTA. It didn't prevent things from working.)

Also, if one has to disable a robot using either DQ or the red card, it's very important to remember to change it back to non-DQ, non-red card. I had to do this a couple of times, and once I forgot. (Fortunately, I remembered before the end of elims and went back and edited the match to fix it before the team noticed.) It would be much nicer if there was an easy way to disable, or if the Bypass option worked during the match.

I am lucky that I've worked with the head ref before and we have a good system for when he's done and when he needs to discuss with his team on things or possibly update something in the system. We did have a few times where the refs wanted to check how things that happened last second were scored last cycle because they have no feedback if something actually was entered once it's five seconds past the end of the match. It would be nice if they either had longer or they had some feedback of what was entered even once they're locked out.

I can't think of anything else right now that wasn't also an issue in week one. Prestart feels really slow. Zebra huddles were much less frequent this week than week one (and we were down ref radios at our event due to bad equipment, too.)

Re: Week Three notes

A few more things to add to Week 3:

1. We had the same situation as Cheri with the scorekeeper screen showing all robots were connected/green, and both ref panels had ball counts entered, but the table stack light did not switch to green. We did the same thing by backing out and pre-starting again and it cleared the problem. I did not pay attention to what we had previously been doing just prior to it happening, but it very well could have been editing scores like Cheri, because we did have to do that at times.

2. During Practice Matches, our Head Ref coordinated with a team to disable them near the end of a match via us giving them a red card to test the system. I’m glad we did that trial, because it showed me how much delay to expect after clicking on the box, to seeing the box change colors and actually disabling the robot.

3. Match generation was harder this year as mentioned previously by others. Another note: When entering breaks, we spelled out “Lunch” for an hour. We could see it say “Lunch” on the schedule it created. At our Regional, we had a guest speaker on Friday immediately after lunch for 15 min. We entered another break for “Special Event” for 15 min so that teams did not think that they had an hour plus 15 min for lunch. We saw “Special Event” also spelled out on the schedule. But when we went into Reports to print the schedule, the 2 lines for “Lunch” and “Special Event” disappeared. The times on the schedule made it look like the teams had 1:15 for lunch.

4. A request for next year please: On the Status tab, the voltage column was narrowed this year. Could you please increase it back to allow for voltage readings in hundredths. The 37.37 catches my eye easier at quick glance than the currently rounded 37.4, and there’s plenty of room on the right side of that tab (the avg trip time column doesn't need to be so wide).

5. Matt, I like your idea to change the match time status to say “ahead” and “behind” instead of the current +/-. We had many people asking us the time status.

Comment

Thanks for this feedback Cheri, I have a few comments I've included below.

Originally posted by Cheri View Post
      The biggest one was that there was a point where I had to go edit a match (74) after it was committed. I'd already prestarted the next match (75) before the head ref decided to change it, so we agreed to wait until that match was done and go back to do the edit. After match 75, I edited the match, I think I added a truss or an assist to cycle 4. I forget which. I saved the change and then went back to match play. Once it loaded and said the ranks were re-calculated, I prestarted match 76 and driver stations and robots started connecting. The light never turned green, but stayed red and blue, even though all robots were connected and the balls were all submitted. (It also didn't display rankings on audience screen.) I had to step back out and re-prestart to fix this.
      After editing and saving changes to a match in Match Review, remain in Match Review until the message about recalculating the ranks appears before going to Match Play, Reports, etc.

I had a couple of times where the FCUI would decide to "reboot" itself, and went back to saying USFIRST.ORG on all the displays, so I had to use the GUI FCUI to proceed.
      The FCUI displays can return to "USFIRST.ORG" if the serial connection comes loose because it is not seated well. It may have been the connection at the FCUI or at the road case; something to check if anyone else runs into this.

Also, if one has to disable a robot using either DQ or the red card, it's very important to remember to change it back to non-DQ, non-red card. I had to do this a couple of times, and once I forgot. (Fortunately, I remembered before the end of elims and went back and edited the match to fix it before the team noticed.) It would be much nicer if there was an easy way to disable, or if the Bypass option worked during the match.
      This is a good reminder.

I am lucky that I've worked with the head ref before and we have a good system for when he's done and when he needs to discuss with his team on things or possibly update something in the system. We did have a few times where the refs wanted to check how things that happened last second were scored last cycle because they have no feedback if something actually was entered once it's five seconds past the end of the match. It would be nice if they either had longer or they had some feedback of what was entered even once they're locked out.
      Changing the amount of time the refs have to enter info once the match timer reaches zero can be modified. Did the refs express the desire for this time period to be longer? If so, any ideas for how long?
      FIRST®
      FRC Electrical Engineering Manager

Comment

Thanks JoAnn, see my comments below.

Originally posted by ~JoAnn View Post
        2. During Practice Matches, our Head Ref coordinated with a team to disable them near the end of a match via us giving them a red card to test the system. I’m glad we did that trial, because it showed me how much delay to expect after clicking on the box, to seeing the box change colors and actually disabling the robot.
        Taking proactive steps like this on Practice Day is a great idea!

3. Match generation was harder this year as mentioned previously by others. Another note: When entering breaks, we spelled out “Lunch” for an hour. We could see it say “Lunch” on the schedule it created. At our Regional, we had a guest speaker on Friday immediately after lunch for 15 min. We entered another break for “Special Event” for 15 min so that teams did not think that they had an hour plus 15 min for lunch. We saw “Special Event” also spelled out on the schedule. But when we went into Reports to print the schedule, the 2 lines for “Lunch” and “Special Event” disappeared. The times on the schedule made it look like the teams had 1:15 for lunch.
        I was able to recreate this on my setup. I'll add it to our bug list.

4. A request for next year please: On the Status tab, the voltage column was narrowed this year. Could you please increase it back to allow for voltage readings in hundredths. The 37.37 catches my eye easier at quick glance than the currently rounded 37.4, and there’s plenty of room on the right side of that tab (the avg trip time column doesn't need to be so wide).
        OK, thanks.

5. Matt, I like your idea to change the match time status to say “ahead” and “behind” instead of the current +/-. We had many people asking us the time status.
        Ok, thanks.
        FIRST®
        FRC Electrical Engineering Manager

Comment

Matt - please change it to be at least 5 seconds after the end of the match. The rules say that the scores are not final until 5 seconds or everything stops moving, whichever is first.

Gary Voshol
          MI Districts head ref (including working with Cheri Week 1)

Comment

Working...
          X