Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help?

Dear community,
    I am coaching our school's Jr.FLL group of six 2nd graders, as a volunteering parent, one of them is my daughter.
    The kids interact more or less OK at meetings, but it doesn't reflect in their behavior outside of the meetings.
    One of the boys is openly hostile to my daughter, encouraging others not to play with her. We keep talking in group about the core values, but seemingly it doesn't get through wi th everybody OUTSIDE group. The parents of this kid just back him or ignore or request that they talk with him to better his behavior.

My question here:
    Can I somehow reflect this bad behavior in group, and how? I really feel very ambiguent about spending my time to a kid who gives my daughter s rough time.

What do you think?

Have you talked about how students can demonstrate the Core Values OUTSIDE of Jr. FLL Meetings? Have you given them some very concrete examples and asked them to come up with their own very concrete examples? With my FLL team, particularly the younger kids, this has been helpful. Sometimes I ask them to tell me a short (3-5 sentences) story about how they have or could demonstrate a specific Core Value. Because the group I coach is primarily homeschooled and used to doing things very independently we talk a lot about what it means to be a team, the contributions each person can and should make to a team, how team work benefits everyone. I share examples of team work from my life and work (I'm an aerospace engineer) and particularly of times when I've benefited from team work. I also share times when I've had to deal with difficult people (I shared a cube with a difficult person for almost a year...that was hard). I share what I did right but also what I did wrong and the impacts of that.
    --
    Fort Worth Robotics - North Texas Region Team #455
    Technical coach, baker of the cookies, keeper of the time, transporter of the travel field walls, finder of the spare parts, maker of the pop culture references that only the other tall people understand.

Comment

Working...
    X