Groceries & Virus...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groceries & Virus...

We are getting ready for our first competition -- working on packing our things up and practicing our runs.

Do we need to take our own "Grocery" & "Virus" parts or will those be supplied at each table for each round?

Re: Groceries & Virus...

Originally posted by LeslieLB View Post
    We are getting ready for our first competition -- working on packing our things up and practicing our runs.

Do we need to take our own "Grocery" & "Virus" parts or will those be supplied at each table for each round?
    Not only "you don't need to", but "you absolutely can not" -- see rule 10.

Note that the viruses do not start in base; they're in the dispensers with the green & pink bacteria. Sorry if you already knew that, but since I had two separate teams at our tournament last weekend that thought otherwise I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
    KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

thanks - I figured that was the case, but started packing and wanted to check.

as for viruses not being in base... didn't know that... somehow missed that fact... ugggg.....

Comment

Originally posted by LeslieLB View Post

Often there will be practice tables available at the tournament. For these practice tables ONLY, teams are often requested to bring their own small, non-dual-locked mission pieces. So teams bring pieces like the viruses to the practice table, but not to the actual competition table.

Your tournament director should be able to tell you if this is the situation.

Comment

My team attended tournament last weekend and we DID bring our own pieces each time we went to table. The team assisted the refs in setting up the field--the pieces we brought were the germs, viruses and groceries. After the run, the team collected the pieces along with their robot. My suggestion is to check with your tournament director.

Comment

Rule 10 clearly says that you may not bring your own mission models to the table. That tournament director needs to read the rules more carefully. What would happen if a team didn't bring their field set to the competition - they couldn't play?

Comment

In FL, we were told to bring our own loose pieces, bacteria and groceries, namely. I'm sure if someone forgot, another team would help out. The kids bring them to the table, the ref sets it up and when they're done, the kids grab all the pieces again.

The loose pieces walk off all the time. We've lost tons of loose pieces from lending our kits to tournaments over the years. Kids accidentally walk off with them from the table (don't that ourselves once or twice over the years) but why they don't get returned, I don't know. I'm fine with bringing our own loose pieces if it means everyone gets to keep their kit intact and are willing to share kits for tournament tables.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicboom View Post
                In FL, we were told to bring our own loose pieces, bacteria and groceries, namely.
                Rule 10 makes it difficult for any team to claim that someone else had an unfair advantage. Waiving that rule seems ill-advised.
                FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
                FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
                FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
                Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

In FL, we were told to bring our own loose pieces, bacteria and groceries, namely.
                  Which slows down the reset considerably, since you have to wait for the just finished team to clear up their pieces, then wait for the new team to come to the table and provide their pieces. Seems easier to me to follow the rules.

Comment

In Minnesota, we were told that any loose pieces brought to the performance table would be gleefully confiscated by the referees.

Comment

A few years ago (was it Smart Move?) there was a mission that involved having four mini-figs ride on the robot. At our tournament, teams were told that they could pre-load their own mini-figs on the robot to save set-up time at the table. The referee would check the robot to make sure the mini-figs were legal (upright). This is the only time I have every been to a tournament that teams were allowed to bring mission models to the tables.

Linda
                      Team 143, BEAR-B-Q

Comment

Working...
                      X