Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are teams limited to their own region or can they compete in other regions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are teams limited to their own region or can they compete in other regions?

Am I correct in thinking that registered teams can compete at any FLL tournament, without consideration of where they are based? Although we would have to drive an hour further, the schedule in our neighboring region would give the team an additional 4 weeks to prepare.

As far as I know one have to register to one tournament. The last years some teams over here have cheated in moving to a later (and know easier) competition by pretending illness. This is banned now.

Additional 4 weeks means, all teams have additional 4 weeks. Competition is harder.
    (+_+)(-_-)(_ _)

Comment

SonnenIgel Rulings may be different in the US where often each state is a "region" like CE. Here in CE, you are free to choose your tournament (but from my experience, those 4 weeks sometimes really help although all teams have them ^^) but I also heard from some rulings at the US that you can only compete in your home state...

I think you have to check that with your organizers (or better the organizers of the tournament where you want to register)

Comment

Originally posted by Tino123 View Post

I think you have to check that with your organizers (or better the organizers of the tournament where you want to register)
        Tino123 is right about the US. it is dependent upon where you live and the rules for your region (or lack of a region).

My team is from southern New Jersey. We used to not have a region here and were welcome to compete in either the FirstState FLL (Delaware), or PENN FLL (South Eastern, PA). We've actually competed in each of those. As of last year, South Jersey has a region, and we must compete in the South Jersey region. The South Jersey region and Penn FLL region (also presumably FirstState FLL) receive a list of teams from FIRST for their region and they limit sign ups to those teams. Last year we even had to register for our competitions through the FIRST website, enforcing that rule. In previous years, registration was through a locally run website and even email.

Comment

A different way of saying what Sonnenlgel stated is that all of the teams competing at any particular tournament all had the same amount of time from when the game was released to do the work necessary. If a team advances to the World Festival, all teams they will be competing with there will have had the same amount of time too.

Sometimes, in our region, the Qualifier Tournaments are spread out over several weekends. The later ones generally fill up quickly but were often over an hours drive away from our house. We started going to the closer ones and saved ourselves a lot of effort an stress. Attending the earlier tournaments did not have a negative effect on the team's performance and gave them more time to improve before the local Regional Championship.

In addition to learning technical aspects such as building a robot and programming, teams (students and coaches) get to learn about time management, risk management and project management.

Comment

Some are more competitive then others. Don't ask me. I have knowledge of this, I do not support it.

If we would like to have better chances to qualification we would switch to an other location (we know the teams and locations) from start, but winning is not the main goal in my POV. I'm more with philso
            (+_+)(-_-)(_ _)

Comment

Originally posted by SonnenIgel View Post
              Some are more competitive then others. Don't ask me. I have knowledge of this, I do not support it.

If we would like to have better chances to qualification we would switch to an other location (we know the teams and locations) from start, but winning is not the main goal in my POV. I'm more with philso
              Is it that some teams find out that other more skilled teams are competing in their qualifier, so they fake sickness to go to another qualifier thinking they will have a better chance of being in the top 40% (or whatever threshold there is)?

Comment

It was known from the start.

Yes, something the like. For all I knew to no success. All they gained was that the second on the other placed was qualified too (more teams). So I count it as even.

Anyway, it's prohibited now.
                (+_+)(-_-)(_ _)

Comment

I was shocked to get an email today saying we are in a differrent region than we used to be. Like cschaffer, we've competed in both Delaware and then Southeastern PA regions. Apparenty there is a new Eastern PA region that will only hold a State competition this year. I really wish the TIMS system made it clear which region you are in when you register. Hopefully we are still eligible to participate in the Philly scrimmages since we won't have an opportunity to compete until February.
                  Lego Works
                  2011 - Food Factor
                  2012 - Senior Solutions
                  2013 - Nature's Fury
                  2014 - Moonbots
                  2014 - World Class

Comment

Originally posted by Joanneb View Post
                    I was shocked to get an email today saying we are in a differrent region than we used to be. Like cschaffer, we've competed in both Delaware and then Southeastern PA regions. Apparenty there is a new Eastern PA region that will only hold a State competition this year. I really wish the TIMS system made it clear which region you are in when you register. Hopefully we are still eligible to participate in the Philly scrimmages since we won't have an opportunity to compete until February.
                    Yes, PennFLL shed off a number of their areas further out from Philadelphia. You can still go to the scrimmages in PennFLL though (and judge training, and kick off parties, etc).
                    PennFLL sent me an email this year explaining the changes. I guess not everyone got it.

Comment

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post

Yes, PennFLL shed off a number of their areas further out from Philadelphia. You can still go to the scrimmages in PennFLL though (and judge training, and kick off parties, etc).
                      PennFLL sent me an email this year explaining the changes. I guess not everyone got it.
                      Thanks, cshaffer. I'll get registered for the scrimmages ASAP. I'm not looking forward to living through the growing pains of another region.
                      Lego Works
                      2011 - Food Factor
                      2012 - Senior Solutions
                      2013 - Nature's Fury
                      2014 - Moonbots
                      2014 - World Class

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Claffey View Post
                        Am I correct in thinking that registered teams can compete at any FLL tournament, without consideration of where they are based? Although we would have to drive an hour further, the schedule in our neighboring region would give the team an additional 4 weeks to prepare.
                        FIRST does not have an official policy on teams competing outside of their defined region. However, such activity would require the approval of the FIRST LEGO League Partner in both your current region and the visiting region. Most Partners generally frown upon this and will not allow it primarily because once they allow it for one team, they have to allow other teams to do this as well and it can ultimately impact event experiences in their own region(s).

I've only ever seen Partners make exceptions for this in two instances: (1) The Team has contacted the FIRST LEGO League Partner in their own region at the beginning of the season to notify them of a significant conflict with the date of an event (primarily the Regional Championship) and if they advance, the Partner has made arrangements for that team to advance into another region's Championship. (2) The FIRST LEGO League Partner themselves has their own FIRST LEGO League team and because of obvious conflicts of interest concerns, works with another Partner to have their team compete in a different region.

In general, my recommendation would be to provide your Partner with feedback regarding the season calendar and that you would like additional time for your teams because it allows them to work together and learn for a longer period of time instead of requesting to participate in another region (it can be kind of insulting that you don't want to compete in the region your Partner works hard to manage). You never know what the reason(s) behind a season calendar could be. Besides, every team in your region will have 4 weeks less so there certainly isn't any competitive advantage.

Comment

Working...
                        X