Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robot Game - Just for advancement eligibility, or something more?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot Game - Just for advancement eligibility, or something more?

Hello everyone!

Based on my research, I was under the impression that you have to perform in the top 75% of teams in robot game in order to be eligible to advance - if you advance is based on your performance in Core Values, Project, and Robot Design.

However, at my team's regional qualifier, I noticed that the teams with the top five robot game scores were the five teams that qualified for the state competition. Is this just a coincidence, or does robot game play in to advancement more than is let on? Or have I misunderstood something? I would appreciate any insight you all have. Thanks!

You understood it correctly. I think it's just a coincidence this time. At our qualifier, the team with the top robot score did NOT advance and my team (with a pretty low score on the robot game - number 9 out of 14 teams) did. The kids did a great job on their judging areas and that's what advancement is about.

Comment

The score cutoff is a little more complicated and not universally followed, but it does not pick the winners. You are seeing a correlation, not a coincidence or cause. Core values is what advances teams. If you are inquisitive, dedicated and decent you will do well in FLL. Well in the project, well in the game, and well in awards and advancement. You can copy your way to a good robot, but that is less common than getting there by hard work and good planning.
      Last edited by Dean Hystad; 12-22-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you both for sharing your insights; now I know I'm on the right track. I feel like a fool for asking, but do you know if the same criteria applies for advancing from state championships to championships (Detroit, Houston)? According to the Advancement Policy, each qualifier advances roughly 25% of participating teams. If that were true, there would be about thirty teams from my state at championships - which sounds like a lot to me. How are the teams that go to Detroit and Houston selected? Sorry for all the questions.... this newbie coach appreciates your help a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by agnbtsmom View Post
          Thank you both for sharing your insights; now I know I'm on the right track. I feel like a fool for asking, but do you know if the same criteria applies for advancing from state championships to championships (Detroit, Houston)? According to the Advancement Policy, each qualifier advances roughly 25% of participating teams. If that were true, there would be about thirty teams from my state at championships - which sounds like a lot to me. How are the teams that go to Detroit and Houston selected? Sorry for all the questions.... this newbie coach appreciates your help a lot.
          For the World Festival events in Detroit and Houston usually at most one team from a state championship is selected to attend. Sometimes FLL regions such as a US state get to send two or even three teams, and sometimes a region doesn't get to send any teams. The rules are a little complicated. See the link below for some more details:

https://fllblog.wordpress.com/2018/0...l-invitations/

There are also other special FLL events outside of the World Festivals.

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/events

But no, only a few teams advance to events past the state championship level.
          Last edited by timdavid; 12-28-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I'd like to know more about what it is like judging at WF. I have judged at regionals, and I have judged at States. The two levels are very different when comparing the overall performance levels of all teams present. It gets very hard to discriminate between teams at the State level because many teams are doing A LOT of great work on their projects, and have equally great CV skills. I can only imagine that at the WF level, it's got to be even harder.
            Norfolk, Virginia, USA
            2014 World Class Learning (coach)
            2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
            2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
            2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
            2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

SkipMorrow My team went to the WF in Detroit for FLL last year and experienced a completely different feel from the Regional, Sectional and State judging sessions. All the FLL judging takes place in the same room and about 20 teams are talking at once. The teams are divided by fabrics that are around a 10x10ft PV pipe structure. It was very hard to hear, which was something that affected our group. Additionally, the judges are from all over the US and sometimes farther away, so you have to make sure your project is understandable if the people judging don't live where you live. For example, our project was about combined sewer overflows, which occur when too much water goes into the pipes and so dirty water is dumped into lakes. Our judge, who was from Texas, didn't understand how this problem happened. The judging is also 15 min per sections and team are expected to present a Robot Executive Summary presentation, which we already had, but wasn't required at the previous levels in Wisconsin. The judging occurs on one day. The best part of the WF was exploring the pit area and seeing teams from many countries.
              ~Megan(Head programmer and meeting leader for World Championship Qualifying team, Gryfftherclaw)

Comment

timdavid - thank you very much for the links. It looks like only two teams from our state championship are advancing out of a total of 119 teams... that's fewer than I expected. Gryfftherclaw - thanks for your recap of your team's WF, I found it very interesting. I suppose (this is only my thought, not official, could be completely wrong) that the reason there is only curtains separating the teams is due to a space issue - they would need a lot of rooms otherwise. I can definitely imagine it being hard to hear!

Comment

We had our regional tournament in SW Ohio this weekend, along with 8-10 inches of snow. We got through all the judging on Saturday, but they had to cancel the robot game because of the weather on Sunday. No rescheduling, so they advanced the top teams from judging to go to the state tourney. Alas, my team didn't make it. I wasn't really expecting them to advance, but they are getting the gracious professionalism award (whenever it arrives in the mail), which makes me very proud of them!!!

Comment

Wow! That's amazing.
                    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                    2014 World Class Learning (coach)
                    2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
                    2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
                    2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
                    2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

Working...
                    X