Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcing the LAST Lego League (née FLL for Grown-ups)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the LAST Lego League (née FLL for Grown-ups)

Calling all coaches and other interested folks! Come participate in the LAST* Lego League (LLL)!

The FIRST Lego League robot game looks fun, doesn't it? It's got interesting challenges, cool themes, robots and legos--awesome, right? If you've always wanted to participate, but couldn't (e.g., too old), now is your chance (provided you've got access to a Trash Trek mat). Here's how to participate in the LLL:

1) Build a robot to perform the missions of the 2015 Trash Trek robot game. The rules, constraints, and such are the same, except that you, not an FLL team, are building and programming the robots, and must do the work.

2) Record a typical table run (time limit is still 2 minutes, 30 seconds) of your robot and upload it to Youtube as an UNLISTED video. If you wish, you can upload an additional video about your robot including whatever you wish: fun features, design notes, your best table run, whatever. This video must also be unlisted.

3) BEFORE April 30, PM the links to the video(s) to me. (If you do not wish to setup a Youtube account, PM me and we can arrange to get the videos to me in other ways, and I'll upload them to Youtube under my account).

4) On May 1 (the day after the World Festival), I will start a new thread with a post containing links to all of the submissions.

5) We watch and enjoy, celebrating successes or interesting designs, and laughing at (in a a lighthearted way--this is supposed to be fun) our failures.

We encourage you to announce your intention to participate in this event with a post to this thread by March 1. While optional, it is recommended because it helps hold yourself accountable to follow-through on completing your robot and also gives us an idea of how many entries to expect.

Forum members dcieslak, dnb, SamLast, shelbydavis, someonewhobikes, and torgoguy have already expressed some interest in competing. Join us by posting your interest below (and if you are one of the members previously mentioned, please confirm your interest below)!

(If you want to read the previous discussion that led to the creation of this league, see here and here.)

* LAST, as in at the end of the season. Still working on a backronym for it, perhaps "Learning Always Science and Technology." (?)
    Last edited by torgoguy; 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM.

Re: Announcing the LAST Lego League (née FLL for Grown-ups)

Originally posted by torgoguy View Post
    1) Build a robot to perform the missions of the 2015 Trash Trek robot game. The rules, constraints, and such are the same, except that you, not an FLL team, are building and programming the robots, and must do the work.
    Does this mean that we're not allowed to get help from our teams?

If I do get time to do this I plan on having some of my kids be present, to do things like timekeeping and running the camera. They'd get a huge kick out of that, I'm sure.

You didn't mention scoring at all. Are we supposed to not care about score? (sure, right.....)
    Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
    KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post
      Does this mean that we're not allowed to get help from our teams?
      Feel free to use any mentors you want. The concept is that you do the work, though, in the same way that the teams do the work for FLL. (And if there are any kids out there that want to make their own robot for LLL (i.e., not reusing the FLL team bot), I wouldn't stop them from entering!)

If I do get time to do this I plan on having some of my kids be present, to do things like timekeeping and running the camera. They'd get a huge kick out of that, I'm sure.
      Yeah, that would be great!

You didn't mention scoring at all. Are we supposed to not care about score? (sure, right.....)
      Many watchers will no doubt tally your score if you don't report it, so sure, you can report the total. I imagine I will mention mine, however low it may be. (I've never coded any Mindstorms code, so I've got a bit of a learning curve here.) Anyway, scores are great, but making fun, interesting, etc., robots is best. However, even vanilla robots and scores are worth doing and sharing if you've learned something, including skills to apply to FLL coaching/mentoring or next year's LLL.

I may come up with a few awards for the league, just for funsies. If I do, overall score has a decent chance of being one of them. (I'm not committing to awards yet and details on judging criteria and methods are still murky in my head. Feel free to offer your thoughts).
      Last edited by torgoguy; 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Since I've always claimed I wanted to do such a thing, I guess you've called my bluff. So I'm in.

Be warned that my submission may only consist of NOT demolishing the Building, and of scrupulously avoiding the Sorter, thereby earning significant points for those "bars in original position".

Or I may run the whole table, but starting from an illegal Launch position, so none of it would count.
        FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
        FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
        FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
        Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
          Since I've always claimed I wanted to do such a thing, I guess you've called my bluff. So I'm in.
          Awesome.

Be warned that my submission may only consist of NOT demolishing the Building, and of scrupulously avoiding the Sorter, thereby earning significant points for those "bars in original position".
          I'm not sure what I'll be able to do. Our robots may be twins in performance. But it'll be fun.

Comment

You'd be the runaway winner in the "points per amount of effort" category.

Hmmm. Here are other awards I'd like to see:
            • Lifetime Odometry Award
            • Least Coachable Robot Award

Comment

Originally posted by dnb View Post
              You'd be the runaway winner in the "points per amount of effort" category.

I don't know about my robot, but I think I'd be well-placed in the "Least Coachable Coach" Award.
              Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
              KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Fastest spontaneous disassembly.
                FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
                FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
                FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
                Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

Originally posted by dnb View Post
                  Awards I'd like to see included
                  • The Flash Award - most points scored in 30 seconds
                  • The Homebody Award - most missions accomplished without the Mindstorms controller leaving base
                  • The Dean's List Award - all code is in small separate MyBlocks, and sensors used for every outing
                  • The Spaghetti Award - all code is in one giant program with multiple sequence beams
                  • The Efficiency Award - smallest number of LEGO parts, motors, etc. needed to score 300 points
                  • The Wall-e Award - most wall alignments / wall following performed
                  • The Magellan Award - robot must circumnavigate the board in a single outing
                  Last edited by timdavid; 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to say LOVE this. I have zero time this spring but if you do this next year I am going to block some time to participate.
                    Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
                    Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
                    https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
                    http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

Working...
                    X