M13 Flower Rise interpretation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M13 Flower Rise interpretation

For M13 - FLOWER, the definition states "Make the Flower rise some obvious height and stay there, due only to a Big Water in the brown pot." Can the flower rise by other means, and stay caused by water only be considered a correct interpretation?
    Tony A.
    Los Angeles FLL Region OP
    www.la-fll.org
    https://www.facebook.com/LosAngelesFLL/

My initial thought is that both the "rise" and the "stay" need to be done only with Big Water. What leads you to think that might not be the case?
    Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
    KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

This has been called already in the private referee forum and only the "stay" requires water. I saw your name there, so you can check it out.
      Tony A.
      Los Angeles FLL Region OP
      www.la-fll.org
      https://www.facebook.com/LosAngelesFLL/

Comment

Here's why I am interpreting the scoring condition as only looking at the "stay" part. M13 does not have an asterisk to indicate that there is a required method. So I will only evaluate the Flower based on its condition at the end of the match.

This also represents Benefit of the Doubt, since we can read the text two different ways.

Steve Scherr
        Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor
        Steve Scherr
        Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
        FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

Just a bit of advice: Teams using this strategy (lift the flower using one method and then hold it up using a Big Water) should be prepared to explain to a Referee why this is valid. Not every referee is going to be fully trained to make this subtle distinction.

And, citing "I saw it on the Forums" is not sufficient proof.
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
          X