Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on 2012 senior citizens topic...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on 2012 senior citizens topic...

I'm sure it will grow on me [like every year]. What are your thoughts?

Re: Opinions on 2012 senior citizens topic...

We're thrilled. We were talking about contacting a large, local, retirement village after the season as part of our outreach. This is going to be an even better topic, but we're not sure whether or not we'll wait for next season.
    Kansas City Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post
      We're thrilled. We were talking about contacting a large, local, retirement village after the season as part of our outreach. This is going to be an even better topic, but we're not sure whether or not we'll wait for next season.
      Interesting...that's exactly how other coaches I've talked with feel. To me, asking retirement villages for advice is like asking people who eat food for advice on this year's topic.

Comment

Originally posted by RvRDilemma View Post
        I'm sure it will grow on me [like every year].
        That's what I felt like when I heard the food factor topic. Turns out it has been one of my favs so far.

To me this feels way too much like the no limits challenge in 2004. That year was ok but there was SOOO much of the same research at the competitions. My worry is that this is going to be the same thing all over again.

Originally posted by RvRDilemma View Post
        To me, asking retirement villages for advice is like asking people who eat food for advice on this year's topic.
        It's good for a season kick off field trip but that is about it. Or at least that was the way no limits was.
        Last edited by BlueCheesyFlamingos; 12-13-2011, 09:47 AM.
        Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
        Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
        https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
        http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

Great thoughts. As people remind me of how a topic relates to other year's, I feel that there are so many ways to connect topics between years. For example, there's a transporting seniors angle...there's a biomedical angle...

Comment

As a person who is continually surprised to get a senior discount at the cash register, I have to say that George Carlin pointed out a fundamental flaw in our culture. We should try to make getting older be an improvement in our status. Of course, he had a much more amusing way of putting it. I may be doing a youtube search shortly.

The big challenge for FLL will be finding an engineering solution to a cultural shortcoming. You can be sure my team will be "out there" with their innovation next year. When do we start?
            Bill Bourn
            Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
            Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

This robotic device from Honda immediately came to mind when I saw the topic. It is a device to help people re-learn to walk safely or to help people with weakened lower body muscles.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c08...Assist-Device/

Randy
              Donate to Roosevelt Robotics at Donors Choose
              http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/639572?active=true

Comment

I have to say I love it! My own kids spent so much time visiting nursing homes with their grandparents I am sure they will have some awesome solutions!

Comment

The reaction from the kids was that it would be difficult; my reaction was the opposite - so much easier to find experts, to share, to reach the community. Our first year was Climate Connections and maybe I'm jaded because it was our first year but that topic still seems so much harder than this year and next. This one seems so much more interesting and fun, with endless possibilities. It will be interesting to see if/how they narrow it at the launch.

Comment

Originally posted by sonicboom View Post
                    The reaction from the kids was that it would be difficult; my reaction was the opposite - so much easier to find experts, to share, to reach the community. Our first year was Climate Connections and maybe I'm jaded because it was our first year but that topic still seems so much harder than this year and next. This one seems so much more interesting and fun, with endless possibilities. It will be interesting to see if/how they narrow it at the launch.
                    I think I agree with you.
                    Referral Marketing System

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt Robotics View Post
                      This robotic device from Honda immediately came to mind when I saw the topic. It is a device to help people re-learn to walk safely or to help people with weakened lower body muscles.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c08...Assist-Device/

Randy
                      Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. Do you know if they have started production?

Comment

I haven't seen registrations' opening day for this yet. Any clues?
                        Bill Bourn
                        Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
                        Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Originally posted by GWhizNonKid View Post
                          I haven't seen registrations' opening day for this yet. Any clues?
                          Registration will open on 7 May 2012 at 12pm ET

https://gofll.usfirst.org/

Comment

Working...
                          X