Time for a new registration system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new registration system?

The level of spam in this forum seems to have increased over the last year.

Should forum registration be somehow more restricted? Perhaps it could require some code that is sent via email to the person that registers the team.

I like having the forum available to all people associated with FLL, so I'm little hesitant to suggest anything that is an impediment for people to use the forum, but it very disheartening to visit the forum and see that the majority of messages for the day are spam.

Re: Time for a new registration system?

Agree!

Comment

I'm on another group as a Moderator, for this specific reason. They had a huge spam problem, which was cleared up easily by not allowing automatic membership. Perhaps the scale of this forum is beyond a manual solution, though.
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I don't know how many of these suggestions are possible in the current forum software, but I found a list of tips to avoid forum spam.

Comment

Well that was ironic...
          Jarren
          2008 Climate Connections - 2010 Body Forward FLLer
          2011 Food Factor - 2012 Senior Solutions Mentor

Comment

ugh! it is getting worse!

Comment

So I have come back to be an active member after a few years of recharging my batteries. First thing I notice are hundreds of spam messages on the board. I started using my moderator status to delete them, but it is a losing battle. There are a dozen new spam messages when I return every few hours.

I had a similar problem on my own website and was forced to institute a Capcha system to keep the nut cases at bay. Now I used a captcha rather than to impose on people to register at my website, but I do not expect may comments to be left. In this forum, one must register, and adding the email acknowledgement second step does not seem overly onerous.

The option is just to abandon the Forum to the spammers, or impose on the good will of the moderators to delete the crud as fast as it comes in. Neither option is very acceptable.

Edit: In the time it took me to write this message 12 new spams arrived that I had to delete. This is rather absurd. But boy those Ugg boots and smokeless cigarettes sure do look tempting...
              Last edited by FLL-Freak; 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM.
              -Skye
              http://www.fll-freak.com/faq Home of the UFAQ
              http://www.fll-freak.com/Archive/ForumArchive.htm Home of the FLL Forum Archive

Comment

@Skye - thanks for your efforts in patrolling the forum!
                I've been a member of this forum for several years and have never seen this level of activity. I glanced at the vBulletin site for the forum software currently used on this site, and saw a message from another user complaining about massive increases of spam on other vBulletin sites as well:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...s-posts-lately
                Massive increase in spam signups/posts lately?
                Sat 17th Nov '12, 4:13pm
                Has anyone else experienced this?
                Over the last 3 days or so, all 3 of my forums have had a MASSIVE increase in spam user registrations and posts. I have all forums using reCaptcha, as well as question/answer human verification, as well as click link on email to validate. They're still getting by. Right now I have all my forums set to no new registrations.
                My one forum, set to moderate new users, was getting 10+ spam registrations per hour. Thank gawd for the Delete All option on moderating new users.
                The IPs from the new users seem to be spread out.
                Has anyone else noticed a huge increase over the past few days?
                Is there an easy way to change the filename of the registration php file so that bots can't automatically load it by it's default name?
                Is there a administrator for the FLL Forum site? The "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page doesn't currently work.

Comment

Well there is no way I can continue to stay ahead of the spammers. It takes way too much time. There has to be a better way. Other boards I have used either require an email confirmation, a capcha, or the first n posts need to be moderated before the user is given the keys to the palace. I don't care what method is used, but something has to be done. Left like this, people will abandon the Forum (if they have not already).

I will see what I can do to make this issue know to the folks at FIRST.
                  Last edited by FLL-Freak; 11-19-2012, 09:25 AM. Reason: Grammar
                  -Skye

Comment

Originally posted by FLL-Freak View Post
                    Well there is no way I can continue to stay ahead of the spammers. It takes way too much time. There has to be a better way. Other boards I have used either require an email confirmation, a capcha, or the first n posts need to be moderated before the user is given the keys to the palace. I don't care what method is used, but something has to be done. Left like this, people will abandon the Forum (if they have not already).

I will see what I can do to make this issue know to the folks at FIRST.
                    I would happily serve as a moderator.

Comment

Tom just wants the power to delete my posts at will.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                        Tom just wants the power to delete my posts at will.
                        I trust you're kidding. Your posts are among the most valuable stuff on here, and I've learned a tremendous amount (both robotics-wise and life-wise) from reading your contributions.

Comment

I was using the "Report Spam" link on posts earlier in the season, and they'd get scrubbed within a day. I did have to wait 60 seconds between reports, though...
                          Steve Scherr
                          Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
                          FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

The Forum was down for maintenance today. I was hoping it was to fix the spam issue. It does not seem to have worked. In the last 2 hours I have banned nearly 30 people before they even got a chance to post their spam. Today is the last day I can spend doing any preemptive work. We will see what the morrow brings.
                            -Skye

Comment

well, FLL_Freak Thanks for all of the time you have put into maintaining the forum

Comment

Working...
                              X