Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for a new registration system?

Originally posted by FLL-Freak View Post
    The Forum was down for maintenance today. I was hoping it was to fix the spam issue. It does not seem to have worked. In the last 2 hours I have banned nearly 30 people before they even got a chance to post their spam. Today is the last day I can spend doing any preemptive work. We will see what the morrow brings.
    I second the "thank you!" for all your work cleaning up the forum.

Can new members be validated before they're allowed to post messages? I do this (manually) for another forum. Basically, if the subscription request doesn't include an intelligent statement of interest from the prospective member, the request ends up in the dust bin.

I'm happy to help if it would be useful. I can't find the admin's contact into to send in the offer personally (the forum's "contact us" link goes to a dead page).
    Last edited by Tom Mosher; 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM. Reason: Added "thank you!"
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
      I second the "thank you!" for all your work cleaning up the forum.

Can new members be validated before they're allowed to post messages? I do this (manually) for another forum. Basically, if the subscription request doesn't include an intelligent statement of interest from the prospective member, the request ends up in the dust bin.

I'm happy to help if it would be useful. I can't find the admin's contact into to send in the offer personally (the forum's "contact us" link goes to a dead page).
      There are a lot of possible solutions but I have yet to make contact with the head of FIRST IT. All my communication was been indirect. Adding a "first post moderation" is possible, but would require a team of dedicated people to provide the coverage. Banning by IP address would get us most of the way. Project HonneyPot maintains a list of blacklisted IP addresses that FIRST could tap into. Some of the people I have banned, I have done by just looking at the IP. Some I had seen several times in the course of one day. Some people work too hard for their living.

Another solution is to ban anyone using a link in their signature. That would be a bummer for those of us with legit links to on topic information, but many of the spammers use that feature for evil.

But without some modification, some users are going to get a eye full of Russian brides in birthday suits or worst...
      Last edited by FLL-Freak; 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM. Reason: More info
      -Skye
      http://www.fll-freak.com/faq Home of the UFAQ
      http://www.fll-freak.com/Archive/ForumArchive.htm Home of the FLL Forum Archive

Comment

Thank you for your work FLL-Freak! I seem to remember that when I signed up I had to answer a question with the answer being "Gracious Professionalism". Is this still required or are people finding a work around?
        Jarren
        2008 Climate Connections - 2010 Body Forward FLLer
        2011 Food Factor - 2012 Senior Solutions Mentor

Comment

Wow, the spammers have invaded this thread too.

If there is going to be a captcha, it should be this one: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...ojects/asirra/

Comment

That is a pretty fun captcha! Better than distorted words.
            Last edited by FLL-Freak; 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM.
            -Skye
            http://www.fll-freak.com/faq Home of the UFAQ
            http://www.fll-freak.com/Archive/ForumArchive.htm Home of the FLL Forum Archive

Comment

Two things that I found in common with many of the spammers was that they had a homepage listed on their profile and that they had an ICQ. Is it possible to restrict anyone that had both of those things from using the forums until they are explicitly allowed on?
              I think that it would clear up some of the problem.

Comment

I have been periodically emailing FIRST about the spam issue for several weeks. They have replied a couple of times. Below is their latest reply:

Hello Tim:

Thank you for your e-mail. I truly apologize for the spam posts still coming through on the forums. Our IT Department is working very hard to eliminate that amount of spam coming in as well as resolving the issue as a whole.

FLL Team Support

Comment

Working...
                X