FLL age requirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLL age requirement

We realized recently that there's a Jan 1 2018 date, by which kids have to turn 9 to qualify for the team. Nor Cal told us they are strict about this. This is even though we already registered all the kids to team roster on FIRST website . This is quite a blow to us since all team will be totally destroyed. This is after we have already heavily invested in the team in both $$, time and energy, and have gone full steam for the last almost 3 months. I have been contacting frantically both FIRST and Nor Cal to seek exemptions, thus far, no results yet. Very frustrating, though I can see the FLL website now carries the updated requirement - something I can't recall seeing before..

That's unfortunate. In most regions, I believe the lower age limit is more of a suggested guideline rather than a hard requirement. There has been a greater emphasis in recent seasons on guiding younger kids into Jr FLL.

The norcal region does state the requirement on their web site:
    https://www.norcalfll.org/how-to-start-a-team/

The lower age limit of 9 years old for each team member is strictly enforced. All team members must be 9 or older on January 1 of the competition year. For the 2018 Into Orbit season, this means that every team member must be 9 or older on January 1, 2018 or the team member's birthday must be on or before January 1, 2009.
    If the norcal region won't make an exemption, I would ask for your FLL registration to be transferred to a Jr. FLL registration if that is available in your region.

Alternatively, if you can travel, investigate if another region in California or a nearby state will allow your team to compete.
    Last edited by timdavid; 08-14-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

After many weeks of phone calls & emails, we eventually got the permission. Yay!!. Now we can completely focus on the competition. Hope no one have to go through this.

Comment

Hi,
        I was looking for the official age requirements for FLL (and FLLJr), and I can't find them anywhere on the website. Under "participation rules" it just mentions that they vary by region. If I put in my region (BC, Canada), all I eventually get is the email address of the FLL partner.
        Does each partner set their own age requirements??? I don't think so....????
        Where do I find the age requirements for Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Uschi View Post
          Hi,
          I was looking for the official age requirements for FLL (and FLLJr), and I can't find them anywhere on the website. Under "participation rules" it just mentions that they vary by region. If I put in my region (BC, Canada), all I eventually get is the email address of the FLL partner.
          Does each partner set their own age requirements??? I don't think so....????
          Where do I find the age requirements for Canada?
          Yes, each region sets their own age requirements.

From this site, it appears at least part of Canada allows kids aged 9 to 14 to participate in FLL.

http://www.firstroboticscanada.org/g...st_lego_league

Recruit up to 10 interested team members ages 9 to 14. Team members must not exceed the maximum age on January 1 of the year the Challenge is released.
          I strongly suggest you email your regional FLL partner if you have any questions about the official age requirements for your region.

Comment

Originally posted by huyton View Post
            After many weeks of phone calls & emails, we eventually got the permission. Yay!!. Now we can completely focus on the competition. Hope no one have to go through this.
            I'm glad you were able to do it. Would you please guide me on how to get my daughter approved too? I emailed FLL and after receiving a disheartening reply, I called their dept to ask for help, but even though I explained my daughter's situation, the lady told me my kid could not compete along her teammates. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenPurple View Post

I'm glad you were able to do it. Would you please guide me on how to get my daughter approved too? I emailed FLL and after receiving a disheartening reply, I called their dept to ask for help, but even though I explained my daughter's situation, the lady told me my kid could not compete along her teammates. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
              There is a lot of variation by region. In Texas, I know that one coach was denied her request to have 8 year olds on a team (the team had already been meeting since early summer). They are pushing their Jr program in the region and don't want anyone less than 9 on any FIRST LEGO League team. Email or call your partner in your region to confirm ahead of time.
              Mentor: Not the Droids You Are Looking For - retired (World Festival Champion's 2018)
              Judge: Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open, Mountain State
              Head Referee: Western PA Championships

Comment

Working...
              X