Trophies for the Kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trophies for the Kids

Does anyone have the design for this year's big and small technic trophies? (I presume they are the same from region-to-region, though that may be a bad assumption). We need to put together trophies / plaques for several of our sponsors who came through on incredibly short notice the last couple of months. Will probably make some for the kids, too, if it doesn't break the bank. Thanks!
    Twitter --- Facebook

Comment

I have a small one but have not modeled in LDD yet. Will pictures help?
      Bill Bourn
      Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
      Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Does anyone know off-hand about how much these trophies end up costing? I assume you order the bricks from lego to make them...

Our rookie year we didn't have any "keepsake" for the kids. Last year, we surreptitiously figured out their favorite mission models and made trophies that were wood bases with the mission models click-locked on top. They were all different shapes and sizes, but the kids really seemed to like them. I do like the idea of getting replica trophies for them, with engraving and everything.

Thanks,
        Stephanie

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
          Does anyone know off-hand about how much these trophies end up costing?
          I replicated the Technics style trophy from Senior solutions. These were the ones that were about 9 inches high, with black base plates, and mostly yellow Technics parts. I don't have the exact figures, but I believe the cost was about $35 per trophy, including copies of the original plates.

Originally posted by Stephanie View Post
          I assume you order the bricks from lego to make them...
          I used bricklink.com. It is kind of like ebay for LEGOs. It is a fun place to visit for LEGO enthusiasts. The bad thing is for large orders with many parts, you will have to purchase from many different sellers.

Here is a partial(?) list of the parts used to build a trophy. I thought I had full list which included quantities per part, but I can't find it. I show the prices I paid for each part. The black plates at the bottom were the most expensive piece, and you needed 3 of them per trophy. Some of the yellow technics parts were surprisingly expensive. If you are willing to use different colors, you should be able to get less expensive parts.

Black Technic, Axle Connector (Smooth with x Hole + Orientation) $0.10 each
          Black Technic, Liftarm 1 x 11 Thick $0.39 each
          Black Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thin $0.059 each
          Black Technic, Liftarm 1 x 4 Thin $0.07 each
          Black Technic, Liftarm 1 x 5 Thick $0.12 each
          Black Technic, Liftarm 2 x 4 L-Shape Thick $0.10 each
          Black Technic, Panel Plate 1 x 5 x 11 $2.80 each
          Black Technic, Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Stop Bush $0.0297 each
          Black Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise WITH Center Slots $0.018 each
          Blue Technic, Axle Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise $0.03 each
          Blue Technic, Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise $0.05 each
          Light Bluish Gray Technic, Axle 3 $0.035 each
          Tan Technic, Pin Long without Friction Ridges Lengthwise $0.05 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 11 Thick $0.35 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 2 Thick $0.35 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thick $0.14 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 4 Thin $0.11 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 5 Thick $0.09 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 7 Thick $0.29 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 9 Bent (7 - 3) Thick $0.17 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 1 x 9 Thick $0.30 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 2 x 4 L-Shape Thick $0.25 each
          Yellow Technic, Liftarm 3 x 5 L-Shape Thick $0.15 each
          Last edited by timdavid; 05-11-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GWhizNonKid View Post
            I have a small one but have not modeled in LDD yet. Will pictures help?
            Thanks for the offer. I have the trophies (not in my possession, but can retrieve them from school trophy case where they reside), so no need for photos unless someone else wants them. I was just asking on the off-chance someone had access to the files so we can order the correct parts (thanks, timdavid) and have the kids build some trophies for our top sponsors.

We also have a Food Factor trophy that was made out of regular (non-technic) blocks that is probably _____er to replicate.

If I can figure out how to put these in LDD, that sounds like a good way to share the instructions and parts list...
            Twitter --- Facebook

Comment

I have an ldd file for one similar to the technic ones timdavid is taking about. Actually I think it might be the same design I just recolored it differently. I can send you the file tomorrow when I am near a computer if your interested.
              Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
              Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
              https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
              http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCheesyFlamingos View Post
                I have an ldd file for one similar to the technic ones timdavid is taking about. Actually I think it might be the same design I just recolored it differently. I can send you the file tomorrow when I am near a computer if your interested.
                Yes, please, that would be great! bsvrobot at gmail dot com. Thank you!
                Twitter --- Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by BakingSodaVolcano View Post
                  Yes, please, that would be great! bsvrobot at gmail dot com. Thank you!
                  Done and done. I also included my spreadsheet I used for figuring out which shops had the lowest cost parts in the qty I was looking for. Hope it helps give you an idea on pricing.
                  Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
                  Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
                  https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
                  http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

There are many Lego Digital Designer (LDD) .lxf building instruction files for various Lego Trophies linked from this Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/429885...7641666335543/ .

Comment

Working...
                    X