Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on beginner workshop

Hello everyone,

I am heading to a school next week to talk with a group of students who are interestd in robotics and coding. They dabbled in FLL this past season, but did not compete or go to any competitions. They had a teacher who was nice enough to volunteer their time, energy, and money to make it happen.

Long story short, I am heading to their school next week for about 90 minutes to help out in their after school program. They are interested in what I know and what I have seen at Worlds and all that, but I really want to help motivate them to keep going.

I am working on trying to provide some quick hands on building tips and challenges that I could lead them through that would help them be more successful and continue in this journey.

Anyone have any great tips, ideas, or activities that I could use? My hope is that I will be able to come back and help them more, but for now I get this one 90 minute chunk of time.

My basic thoughts are to
    • discuss how to break down a FLL board using computational thinking methods.
    • Have them build a LEGO device to help them determine weight distribution of their robot(triangle)
    • Add wheels on sides/corners to help follow the wall
    • Parallel programming
    • My blocks
    • Using comments in code
    This is way more than what we will get done in 90 minutes, but I love to error on the side of too much vs. not enough.

The North Texas FLL website has great materials for quickly going over various aspects of FLL: http://roboplex.org/event/fll2017-utd-training-1/
    Look at what they teach coaches over a number of days and chose some appropriate aspects that you want to focus on, given the level of the team.

What about reviewing the major actions used in tackling the robot game and potential attachment structures for those?
    • Pushing
    • Pulling
    • Lifting
    • Dropping / dumping
    • Placing / delivering
    • Releasing
    • Capturing / collecting
    • Shooting
    • Turning
    I would also emphasize how all aspects of the competition are important for a team to be "successful". Stressing the importance of the rubrics would be helpful.

Overall, I wouldn't focus their minds on "winning", rather stress how the team can challenge themselves to figure things out, be it programming or solving missions, or forming a fun cohesive team. You only have 90 minutes, so at best be sure to inspire them to dive deeper into what you show them.

Comment

Oregon Robotics makes their workshop materials available online. Some of it looks pretty good. My only suggestion for teaching relatively inexperienced kids (and adults) is to not overwhelm them. Give them some hands on exercises that build their confidence.

http://www.ortop.org/Workshops/
      http://www.ortop.org/Workshops/index2017.html

Comment

Thanks for sharing this topic.

Comment

Working...
        X