This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HYDRO DYNAMICS Forum Topics (merged)

All Forum topics posted during the HYDRO DYNAMICS season have been merged here.

The "Evergreen Robot Game Rules" video is posted at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chSLW55qBAA
    Steve Scherr
    Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
    FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

Well the video has some really nice shots of teams, and the voice over is very clear. However, it just reads the challenge text, I didn't notice any additional clarifying items, explanations, examples, etc. We hope that Evergreen Rules are now stable and self-explanatory - but if someone is watching the video - then they likely had some question.

I don't recall any real misleading mismatches, but the photo shown for each verbal section is seemingly just a random photo. There is no connection to the topic being spoken to at that moment. Those visual portions seem to do little to reinforce the verbal topic.

I know, all so critical for a first post in this awesome new area. I am sure the video serves several needed purposes and the quality of the sound and resolution/color is top notch. This is just internal conversation about how we should expect teams to receive this video's content.

David Stolz
      Texas - South (Houston)

Comment

Originally posted by dna1990 View Post
        This is just internal conversation about how we should expect teams to receive this video's content.
        I think these videos are intended for referee training only, not teams. But I may be mistaken (it happens a lot).
        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

I think these videos are intended for referee training only, not teams. But I may be mistaken (it happens a lot).
          The new Prep and Event Day videos are refreshed versions of past trainings and are intended for Referees. These are the first in a series of videos being done to support Refs. Additional training videos are being created for next season. The Rules video is intended for teams, but could be useful for Referees as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cdavis@firstinspires.org View Post

The new Prep and Event Day videos are refreshed versions of past trainings and are intended for Referees. These are the first in a series of videos being done to support Refs. Additional training videos are being created for next season. The Rules video is intended for teams, but could be useful for Referees as well.
            If a video consists of just a badly synthesized voice reading some printed material, and the images are totally unrelated to the spoken text, then you can't really claim it is a "training video". An audio recording would serve the same purpose. I'm just saying that in my opinion, referring to what I've previewed as "training videos" serves to make FIRST look cheap and amateurish.

Comment

A few comments about the "field setup letter" document, in the interest of improvement:

(note: there is a discrepancy in the page numbering - the cover seems to be called "Page 4" in the PDF file)

- On page (5 of 12), the images are too small to be useful in setting up a table. Some of the larger models are very pixelated and can't be identified clearly.

- Page (7 of 12) contains the illustrations for the "pump system" setup, with a red background. But the text instructions are on the following page, in a box that has an orange background.

- Page (8 of 12) has the steps for Water Treatment (in the orange box), but the images there are for Pipe Repair (which is on Page 9).

- Page (9 of 12) has the Pipe Repair text, but with a different color background than was used for the images, which are on the previous page.

Probably what was intended was that the top half of the Page 8 orange box should have a red background, and the bottom half of the orange box should be merged into the blue/green text box on Page 9, followed by a page break so the Field Maintenance section is on its own page.

- The images on Pages 7 and 8 are too small to be useful in actually setting up the models.

- The instructions for setting up the Water Treatment seem very complicated, and could really benefit from a video presentation that could be used for referee and table resetter training.

I know it's too late for changes in the document, but perhaps a supplement could be issued.

Comment

A question via the FIRST LEGO League Forum from user "someonewhobikes":
                https://forums.usfirst.org/forum/gen...et-orientation

-----------
                "Has anyone written in about how to place the toilet? If you line up the studs with the little circles on the mat, the axle doesn't line up with the line on the mat. Obviously, the kids will want the yellow lever put in the correct orientation."

Comment

I actually got a response:

I would first suggest you begin by flipping the LEGO universal joint. If this is directed the wrong way, it may be causing the issue you are referring to. If not, I would suggest looking over the build (possibly break down the model and rebuild) of both models to ensure 100% accuracy.

Unfortunately, I am not able to see what is going on without physically being there, but hope this may be able to help fix the issue you are encountering!

Hope this helps

Mike
                  I'd already gone back through the build instructions and couldn't find a problem. I thought one of the responses on the FLL forums was more helpful:

I don't know if this helps but if you look at the 'official' overhead view you can see the axle doesn't line up with the line:

https://firstinspiresst01.blob.core....w-of-field.jpg
                  Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                  KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Will the images be unofficial and "for reference only" this year? Usually, only the written mission model instructions and field setup is considered official.

Bill
                    Bill Aucoin

AKA Robot Bill
                    RobotBillMD@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by RobotBill View Post
                      Will the images be unofficial and "for reference only" this year? Usually, only the written mission model instructions and field setup is considered official.

Bill
                      Hi Bill,
                      Just my opinion:

GP5 says: "Pictures and video have no authority, except when talked about in #1, #2, or #3."
                      The "#2 it refers to are "MIssions and Field Setup". #3 is "Rules".

So any pictures that are "talked about" in the Field Setup manual and the Robot Game Rules are considered official information. For example, if there's a diagram in the Rules that specifically shows examples of "Completely In", those are considered official information.

But, as always, ambiguity is the rule. One could argue that if there are nice colored pictures next to the mission descriptions, but the text of the mission doesn't specifically refer to ("talk about") the image, then the image is just for reference and is NOT a rule.

Comment

Does anyone understand the Water Treatment setup instruction "STEP 4: Secure the two Water Treatment model

Comment

OK, that's just really weird. The Forum eats the end of any message I post after the word "model". Or maybe it doesn't?
                          It certainly doesn't seem to like the phrase Water Treatment model.
                          Or maybe it just doesn't like "Step 4: Secure the two Water Treatment model guides..."
                          No, that worked fine too. But it didn't like it the first four times I tried to post it.

Anyway, the question was, why do we install the guides and the remove them, without having used them for any purpose?
                          Last edited by Tom Mosher; 08-29-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Hi Tom, I'm pleased that you asked that question because I also wondering about it. I asked Scott Evans and this is what he answered:

When you first secure the guides, you're getting them "close" while you're not 100% sure where the final/optimum placement should be. Later, when the axles are connected, and the Dual Lock is stuck to the mat in the general area needed, you can then do the final "press-down" in the optimal spot.
                            When you read that you see how much thought goes into the planning of the missions.
                            Last edited by alanggreen; 08-31-2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X