Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M06 - Space Station Modules

Mission Discussion Thread

The first scoring condition states "Inserted Modules must not be touching anything except the Habitation Hub." I take that to mean that if ANY inserted module touches anything except the Habitation Hub, NONE of the inserted modules would score. I'm not sure what the scoring software assumes.

Comment

The paper scoresheet implies that each Module is considered separately with regard to touching anything other than the Habitation Hub. So which is it? The English text is ambiguous.

Comment

Originally posted by scottdickson View Post
        The paper scoresheet implies that each Module is considered separately with regard to touching anything other than the Habitation Hub. So which is it? The English text is ambiguous.
        The scoresheet has no standing as rules.
        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I take the mission rule to mean that if a module is touching anything besides the Hub, it would not score, and that this is is assessed for each module separately.

Comment

I agree with Tom. Since there is ambiguity, we should resolve it to the benefit of the team, and look at each Module separately.

Note to challenge reviewers--try to ask for wording like "Each Inserted Module" instead of "Inserted Modules" in future missions...
            Steve Scherr
            Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
            FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

A finicky question about scoring this mission: is there a requirement for how far into the HUB the Cone, Tube, or Dock Module need to be inserted to count as scoring? Right now, it doesn't look like there is a requirement, except that they only be touching the HUB. I've included pictures of a few different scenarios, to show why I ask.

1: Clearly Counts.
              2: Slightly out, but should definitely count.
              3: Sketchy. I figured it should be pretty much all the way pushed in.
              4: I would argue this should not count, because the spirit of the task has not been met.

I'm happy to say that all 4 would score, but I felt there was a little ambiguity here.

Comment

Originally posted by James.Cutright View Post
                A finicky question about scoring this mission: is there a requirement for how far into the HUB the Cone, Tube, or Dock Module need to be inserted to count as scoring? Right now, it doesn't look like there is a requirement, except that they only be touching the HUB. I've included pictures of a few different scenarios, to show why I ask.

1: Clearly Counts.
                2: Slightly out, but should definitely count.
                3: Sketchy. I figured it should be pretty much all the way pushed in.
                4: I would argue this should not count, because the spirit of the task has not been met.

I'm happy to say that all 4 would score, but I felt there was a little ambiguity here.
                I'm not sure which of your pictures go with which number. I suspect the 2nd picture is your #4, but can't tell for sure. In any case -- there is no "spirit" of a mission; just scoring requirements laid out in "Technically Speaking"(1). As far as I'm concerned as long as part of the module is in the correct docking port, and the module is only touching the habitation hub, it scores. If some team figures out how to put the flatter end of the tube module into the docking port & make it stay I'm going to be very happy to give them the points.

(1) I'll put in another plea -- rename this section "Scoring Requirements" next year. Please.
                Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

I recommend you read Global HeadRef Steve's referee notes and training materials, from the partner wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
                    I recommend you read Global HeadRef Steve's referee notes and training materials, from the partner wiki.
                    For those who don't have access to the Wiki, the relevant points are:
                    • Inserted Modules are not touching anything except Habitation Hub
                    • To score: okay if Modules are not inserted all the way
                    I'd award the points for all 4 situations in the pictures - sufficiently in the Habitation Hub so that they are not touching the mat.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X