Mission Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Models

After building the models over the weekend, I have an extra Medium Gray technic beam 11-hole. I looked at the parts list, and it has 22. I counted the ones used in the instructions, and I count 21. So the fact that I have an extra matches that. But their quality control is such that they never give an extra part of this size. So did I miss something?

From a rule/mission point of view, I am concerned that the force required to lift the beam in M09 will be inconsistent over different tables and time.

I am pretty disappointed they didn't use the internal arc gears in the Observatory. That would have been a nice model if both azimuth and angle had to be set.
    MA Head Referee since 1999
    Sharon Youth Robotics Association

I've seen extra beams in the field setup kits before.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I was sure that I must have missed a step when I had that beam left over, but could not find where I missed anything. I started on our 2nd field today & built bags 6 & 7 first, just to see if I could find that missing step. Nope - I now have 2 leftover beams.
      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post
        I was sure that I must have missed a step when I had that beam left over, but could not find where I missed anything. I started on our 2nd field today & built bags 6 & 7 first, just to see if I could find that missing step. Nope - I now have 2 leftover beams.
        Soon you will have a nice collection.

Comment

For the M09 (strength mission), lifting the bar by hand is notably harder than any of the last year's mission models. I know it says "strength", but is this expected?

Comment

The thing that makes it harder is a friction pin. I was surprised to see one used in a moving part, so I checked it. I am pretty sure it is intentional, but I feel there will be big differences between new and old ones by tournament time.
            MA Head Referee since 1999
            Sharon Youth Robotics Association

Comment

In case this is of use to anyone else, here's a sheet I'm giving to my field reset folks. It has pictures of mission models that I feel are going to need to be frequently repaired - the 3 Satellites, the 3 Space Travel vehicles, and the Crater Crossing.
              Attached Files
              Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
              KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post
                In case this is of use to anyone else, here's a sheet I'm giving to my field reset folks. It has pictures of mission models that I feel are going to need to be frequently repaired - the 3 Satellites, the 3 Space Travel vehicles, and the Crater Crossing.
                That looks like a very handy aide.

Comment

Meteoroid Catcher. Looking to settle a debate. Are the 3 X's for dual lock still the correct location for duallocking the catcher? If you reorient the catcher from the field model, it sits nicely on those 3 pads, and matches the field setup.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Mythagoes View Post
                    Meteoroid Catcher. Looking to settle a debate. Are the 3 X's for dual lock still the correct location for duallocking the catcher? If you reorient the catcher from the field model, it sits nicely on those 3 pads, and matches the field setup.
                    Yes, they are. After building the model according to the build instructions, you flip the entire model over, and then rotate the white beams. The 3 X's align with the dual lock. They will just not match the picture from the Challenge Guide.

Comment

If the model doesn't match the "dual lock"locations on the mat, then you've got it upside down. Flip it over, and it fits fine.

Comment

We were just having a discussion about the orientation of the Meteoroid Catcher at two tournaments this past weekend. Based on the game update U01, my position is that it should match the final picture of the build instructions. That's how I've been setting it up at every tournament this season. The update really should have provided more detail, if we were suppose to reconfigure the model to fit the dual-lock positions. Given the lack of update detail, I applied GP3 and gave the team the larger target area by following the orientation in the build instructions.
                        Jeff Bartig
                        Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Comment

The photo in the field setup instructions show the catcher matching the dual-lock positions on the mat. The setup instructions are #2 in Information Superiority under rule GP5.

Comment

Originally posted by carol.conner View Post
                            The photo in the field setup instructions show the catcher matching the dual-lock positions on the mat. The setup instructions are #2 in Information Superiority under rule GP5.
                            Yes, but GP5 says that game updates take precedence over both the missions and field setup. Update U01 says that the picture in the mission is incorrect and the picture in the field setup matches the one in the mission description, so neither are correct.

If the intent wasn't to follow the final picture of the build instructions, U01 should have included extra text indicating that the model should be rotated into a different configuration, so it would match the dual lock positions on the field. This year there are several places where the dual lock marks on the field do not line up with the models, which introduces further uncertainty.
                            Jeff Bartig
                            Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Comment

U01 wasn't even necessary, as there was nothing required other than putting the model on the mat, seeing if the dual-lock patches lined up with the model, and if not, just flip the whole thing over.

There are four permutations - upside right or upside down, and with the dual-lock portion rotated either way. Only one of the four is correct. Maybe that's what the update was intended to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X