Regional FAQs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional FAQs

I think I saw one so far, but has anyone published a list of Robot Game FAQs specific to your region? The trend it seems is to receive fewer "Updates", and I worry that teams will only first find out their cool solution doesn't meet the ref's ideas of legal - at their first qualifier.

Yes, it is hard to create these publications in a manner that doesn't "ruin" the discovery for other teams, or divulge too much or too little. But at least in the discussions here, I think many of us feel some more explanation is warranted on some of the missions.

Before I started with a blank page, figured worth asking who else has already had some success with one.

Sort of. I write up "mission notes for teams", which the regional partner sends out to the coaches. From my standpoint, I try to dissuade methods that might not be allowed, without hinting at specific strategies. It is a difficult document to write.
    - Tom
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by dna1990 View Post
      I think I saw one so far, but has anyone published a list of Robot Game FAQs specific to your region? The trend it seems is to receive fewer "Updates", and I worry that teams will only first find out their cool solution doesn't meet the ref's ideas of legal - at their first qualifier.

Yes, it is hard to create these publications in a manner that doesn't "ruin" the discovery for other teams, or divulge too much or too little. But at least in the discussions here, I think many of us feel some more explanation is warranted on some of the missions.
      What would you include for your region?

Comment

Originally posted by alanggreen View Post

What would you include for your region?
        Personally, I like to clue teams in about rules clarifications that have been discussed in the Head Referee Forum, but never made it to the official Update level.

Comment

My email address & a link to a crude (as in, takes very little time to maintain) web site with answers to questions teams have asked me. As with Tom, I try hard to avoid giving away specific solutions. I've not had as many questions this year as I have in previous years. I don't know why, but I don't think it's because the rules are significantly more clear than previous years.

I also put in information I think might be helpful even if the question hasn't been asked. Some of those come from the things the teams I coach try, and discard after a bit of research and deeper thought. Also like Tom, this forum is an important source for some of my material.

https://sites.google.com/view/kcfllref/home I won't accept criticism of the appearance (I know it stinks) but the material, sure.
          Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
          KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

I've also received very few questions from teams compared to previous seasons.

Comment

I do one every year for Massachusetts. I will post this year's when it is ready (this week). The crater crossing is the big question this year.
              MA Head Referee since 1999
              Sharon Youth Robotics Association

Comment

Attached is my 2018 Massachusetts guide.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JackGregory View Post
                  Attached is my 2018 Massachusetts guide.
                  Thanks for posting the document. That's a very nice concise set of guidelines.

Comment

I'm hoping that the attached diagram helps control crowds during matches. There has been a lot of need for improvement after trying ref training, comments at the coaches meeting, tape lines on the floor when allowed, etc.
                    Attached Files
                    Rich Comeau

Comment

Rich, referees need to be able to be near base to determine properly in/out of base issues. Restricting a ref to a far corner is not good. Other than that, your diagram is fine.

Comment

I use two refs per table, and put one near each "penalty corner" as shown, and one at each end of the line where the two tables meet. Allows good coverage of Base without getting in the way of the teams.

That puts one in front of the spectators (and often with their back to the video cameras), but that can't be helped.

Comment

Working...
                        X