Interruption Penalty tracking method

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interruption Penalty tracking method

Maybe I'm misreading this, or maybe this late in the season I'm actually noticing something new?

For at least the past several years, the referee procedure with the six Interruption Penalty markers has been to hold them somewhere off the table hand/pocket/whatever), and then place them onto the table in the designated location as penalties are incurred. This how P01 - INTERRUPTION PENALTIES is again written this year (Challenge Guide, page 29): "Upon Penalty, the referee will place one Penalty Disc in the southeast triangle as a permanent Interruption marker."

However! I haven't gone back to look at past years, but this year's Field Setup guide (which is supposed to supersede the Rules via GP5 - INFORMATION SUPERIORITY) describes the exact opposite procedure. As part of pre-match Field Setup, we are told: "Penalty Discs - Place the Penalty Discs anywhere in the white triangle at the southeast of the Mat, for the Referee (Ref) to *take*" (emphasis added).

Personally I like the traditional (P01) way, and I think I'll continue to have my referees put the penalty markers out as penalties are incurred. It makes scoring more visibly straightforward to the kids, who have to sign off on their scoresheet. Just sayin'.
    QT Head Referee and Southern California RCT Referee (and occasional acting RCT Head Referee/Trainer), 2013-present, + coach, 2011-2012

That's just where the refs get the markers from at the start of the match. It is only the setup.

In practice , the refs will hold the markers all day long. No need to reset them and then just pick them up again.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Ah, can have it both ways if the Field Setup is just for the table resetters, before the referees pick them up in the usual way pre-Match, I get it. Thanks Tom.
      QT Head Referee and Southern California RCT Referee (and occasional acting RCT Head Referee/Trainer), 2013-present, + coach, 2011-2012

Comment

Working...
      X