New Scoring Software Issues at Tournaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scoring Software Issues at Tournaments

Holy cow. Massive issues with the functioning of the new fll-tools.com scorekeeping software at our Qualifying Tournament today, in a high school gym. Bug reports including screen shots of error messages to follow (next week, once provided to me).

Head refs, highly suggest that you encourage your scorekeeper to have a backup Excel-based system in place in case you encounter similar issues. I haven't looked at it, but there's one on PBWorks in the Referees workspace, at https://firstlegoleague-referees.pbw...er%20v1.1.xlsm .

Anybody else having troubles with the new scorekeeping software? AAAARGH.
    Last edited by earlusfirst; 11-04-2018, 01:08 AM.
    QT Head Referee and Southern California RCT Referee (and occasional acting RCT Head Referee/Trainer), 2013-present, + coach, 2011-2012

Hi Earl

Could you collect the log files (there is a link to export the log files in the About screen) and email them to me. Also, please send your schedule file or team list, and a description of your hardware configuration. We'll try sort the issues out as soon as we can.

My email:alanggreen@gmail.com
    Alan Green

Comment

To other head referees who have used the scoring software - we want your feedback.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by alanggreen View Post
        To other head referees who have used the scoring software - we want your feedback.

Alan
        We used the software at our first tournament of the season in Wisconsin.
        We had the timer lock up twice during the robot games at a very small tournament.
        It made a couple of the directors of much larger tournaments pretty nervous. I know for sure there will be another software program used in 2 tournaments this weekend.

Comment

The timer locked for us at least three times today.
          Rich Comeau

Comment

Hi Earl

Could you collect the log files (there is a link to export the log files in the About screen) and email them to me. Also, please send your schedule file or team list, and a description of your hardware configuration. We'll try sort the issues out as soon as we can.

Alan Green
            Will do, Alan, as soon as I get the files from my scorekeeper.
            QT Head Referee and Southern California RCT Referee (and occasional acting RCT Head Referee/Trainer), 2013-present, + coach, 2011-2012

Comment

I was at another Wisconsin tournament this past weekend that was using the new software. I was there as a referee, not for I.T. support, so I wasn't involved with the initial set up. Part way through the tournament, they had issues and asked if I could help. I didn't have much time, since matches were going on.

The school's network prohibits computer-computer communication on their wifi network that was being used. They didn't set up a private network. Because of this, they only had this one Windows 7 computer. It was running the main FLL server software, scoring entry, and scoring display. They had a copy of the scoring display running in a browser window for viewing on that local host and they were running some type of streaming software that had its own browser viewing the scoring display page and sending it as a live stream to Youtube. They had other computers around the building viewing the youtube live stream of the scoring display. They were not using the timer functionality. All score sheets were paper and were entered by the scorekeeper at the single computer running the FLL software.

At about the time they started entering scoresheets for round 2, they let me know that the scoring display was no longer functioning. They were still able to enter new score sheets. The web browser would load the scoring display, with the tournament name at the top and sponsor logos at the bottom. Instead of the team rankings, there was just a message stating "Couldn't load rankings". Tried reloading the web page. We quit and restarted the FLL server software. Finally, a reboot of the operating system restored functionality. This issue happened a second time, I think approximately when they started entering round 3 score sheets. Again, shutting down everything and rebooting the operating system fixed the problem.

Is there a pointer to what information should be collected when issues happen?

Jeff
              Jeff Bartig
              Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Bartig View Post
                Is there a pointer to what information should be collected when issues happen?
                Yes

Please see the user-guide, paragraph Bug reports and feedback

Sorry - can't get the link right in this editor
                https://github.com/FirstLegoLeague/L...s-and-feedback

We're working to release version v2018.1.1 with fixes for these problems in a day or two.

Alan
                Last edited by alanggreen; 11-06-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

The dev team has just released version v2018.1.1 of the scoring software.
                  More information here http://www.fll-tools.com/general/ver...-1-1-released/

I'll be monitoring the email address FLL-TMS-Support@firstinspires.org for issue reports, especially over the weekend.

Alan

Comment

Hi Earl

Alan Green
                    Alan, sorry for the delay in getting these files to you; my scorekeeper was home sick for the week, with our scoring laptop in his office at work, so I only received them today. These reports refer to the pre-updated version of the software, of course, so perhaps these issues have all been fixed in v2018.1.1. Our tournament setup was on a single Windows 7 laptop, in a high school gym, with no Internet connectivity (which we had thought would/should not be required, since the client-server architecture is fully hosted on the laptop). Let me know if you need more hardware details than that.
                    • FLL_Software_Review___Nov2018.docx: this 2pg Word doc describes my scorekeeper's and assistant scorekeeper's experiences with the software, including errors observed and the diagnoses they were able to perform at the time. They did not attempt to use the timer functionality, since busy on the single laptop during rounds entering scoresheets from the previous round. The multi-round scoreboard functionality worked fine after round 1, but died during scoring of round 2, so they had to build their own Excel scoreboard.
                    • Team List.csv.zip: team list attached as requested; we were just a small 16-team QT this year, after our region added several additional QTs. This forum won't allow upload of a CSV file by the way, which is why I zipped it.
                    • logs.zip: exported logs attached as requested.
                    Hope this is helpful in checking that issues were resolved in the v2018.1.1 update. I will post it to https://github.com/FirstLegoLeague/L...s-and-feedback as well.

Regards,
                    Earl

P.S.: now also sent to your gmail account as requested.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by earlusfirst; 11-10-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

We had trouble with the timer locking up yesterday -- and that was after the latest update.
                      SC Head Referee & Referee @ World Festival

Comment

Originally posted by MK Baldwin View Post
                        We had trouble with the timer locking up yesterday -- and that was after the latest update.
                        There is a problem where the timer resets around every 10 matches. We're working to release a workaround that will restart the timer from where it left off. You will see the timer freeze for about 5 seconds, and then resume with the time 5 secs later. In parallel we're working on finding teh bug. Projected release date - tomorrow 13-Nov

Comment

Copying notes from Erik O. in the Wisconsin region:
                          "Quick note from the scorekeeper at Riverside about the FLL-tools scoring system:
                          1. session info gets cookied, so if you are having issues, first try to clear your cache, or open in incognito mode.
                          2. We had some networking issues that caused it not to work on one laptop. I believe it was a configuration with that laptop, but we never identified root cause. Switching to different laptop worked fine.
                          3. The timer is reliant on the server. Our server instance crashed a couple of times. the only real problem this caused, is the timer froze mid match. We started leveraging a backup timer. It would have been nice if the time ran client side, independent of the server.
                          4. once the server crashed, all clients needed to be manually refreshed. not a big deal, but would have been nice if the page refresh would have been set to handle."

Comment

Originally posted by happy5 View Post
                            Copying notes from Erik O. in the Wisconsin region:
                            "Quick note from the scorekeeper at Riverside about the FLL-tools scoring system:
                            1. session info gets cookied, so if you are having issues, first try to clear your cache, or open in incognito mode.
                            Could you go into a bit more detail here please. What issues were you seeing. We know that you need to refresh brower tabs with clear cache CTRL-F5 after installing a newer version of the software.

2. We had some networking issues that caused it not to work on one laptop. I believe it was a configuration with that laptop, but we never identified root cause. Switching to different laptop worked fine.

3. The timer is reliant on the server. Our server instance crashed a couple of times. the only real problem this caused, is the timer froze mid match. We started leveraging a backup timer. It would have been nice if the time ran client side, independent of the server.
                            When you say the server crashed, what did you actually see? Was it just the timer server giving problems, or more than that?
                            We released a fix for the timer crash yesterday http://www.fll-tools.com/general/wor...r-timer-reset/

4. once the server crashed, all clients needed to be manually refreshed. not a big deal, but would have been nice if the page refresh would have been set to handle."
                            Yes, that would be good. I'll note that for future development.

Alan

Comment

Could you go into a bit more detail here please. What issues were you seeing. We know that you need to refresh brower tabs with clear cache CTRL-F5 after installing a newer version of the software.

When you say the server crashed, what did you actually see? Was it just the timer server giving problems, or more than that?
                              We released a fix for the timer crash yesterday http://www.fll-tools.com/general/wor...r-timer-reset/

Yes, that would be good. I'll note that for future development.

Alan

just FYI
                              I can tell you that this tournament was before the update. just to be clear about that fact. (we were at that tournament and the update had not been released yet)

Comment

Working...
                              X