Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Scoring Software Issues at Tournaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Just reporting from a tournament that we had yesterday.

    24 teams, 3 rounds

    I noticed the timer stopped at 40 seconds, I called attention to it and grabbed my backup timer to call the end of the match when needed, after about 4 seconds, the counter resumed after what did seem to be the proper time. it started counting again at 36 seconds.

    One other time, another referee reported that they had witnessed the same thing on another round.

    There was something going on with the scoring panel as well but I will have to get you specifics as to if that was a user issue or software.

    I have one request, please. the display is very hard to read, its too small and seems to be much darker than anything else we project onto the screen
    if we could somehow default to or even give a user option to make the display much larger, perhaps fewer lines displayed at a time, but larger nice big, simple black bold font on a white background like the previous version, that would be awesome

    everyone seems to think, this cant be the right size, there has to be a setting, but as of yet, i haven't seen anyone find the setting

    Thanks guys
    J.

    Comment


    • #17
      We had a lot of timer failures yesterday, approximately 10 failures over 3 rounds * 15 matches. After we had to replay a match, I started running a separate timer that we would use when the main timer failed. It looked like the timer on the timekeepers screen would reset back to 2:30, while the timer on the scoreboard switched to just display "150" with no colon. Afterwards, I checked and the event was running the v1.1 software. I guess they didn't know that yet another version had been released. I was at a very small tournament on Saturday that was using v1.2, and I don't think we had any issues.

      The small font size issue can be made better by just pressing CTRL-+ in the web browser to zoom the web page larger. I didn't figure that out until I was looking at the software after the tournament. It would be nice, though, if the text could be black text on a white background. Gray text on a gray background is very hard to read when using a video projector in less than ideal lighting environments that we normally have for tournaments.

      Jeff
      Jeff Bartig
      Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by J Church View Post
        Just reporting from a tournament that we had yesterday.

        24 teams, 3 rounds

        I noticed the timer stopped at 40 seconds, I called attention to it and grabbed my backup timer to call the end of the match when needed, after about 4 seconds, the counter resumed after what did seem to be the proper time. it started counting again at 36 seconds.

        One other time, another referee reported that they had witnessed the same thing on another round.
        That's good to hear. We had a problem we're having difficulty solving, and the behavior you describe is our workaround.

        There was something going on with the scoring panel as well but I will have to get you specifics as to if that was a user issue or software.

        I have one request, please. the display is very hard to read, its too small and seems to be much darker than anything else we project onto the screen
        if we could somehow default to or even give a user option to make the display much larger, perhaps fewer lines displayed at a time, but larger nice big, simple black bold font on a white background like the previous version, that would be awesome

        everyone seems to think, this cant be the right size, there has to be a setting, but as of yet, i haven't seen anyone find the setting
        That's excellent feedback. We've done all our testing on a computer screen - much better resolution than a projector. I'll take this to the development team.

        I presume you are referring to the time between matches and not when the timer is being overlaid onto the scores..

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jeff Bartig View Post
          We had a lot of timer failures yesterday, approximately 10 failures over 3 rounds * 15 matches. After we had to replay a match, I started running a separate timer that we would use when the main timer failed. It looked like the timer on the timekeepers screen would reset back to 2:30, while the timer on the scoreboard switched to just display "150" with no colon. Afterwards, I checked and the event was running the v1.1 software. I guess they didn't know that yet another version had been released. I was at a very small tournament on Saturday that was using v1.2, and I don't think we had any issues.
          Yes, Jeff, the resume of the timer was introduced in v2018.1.2. I apologise that we have so many versions - I know it's confusing but we didn't have the opportunity to do a full-scale pilot last year. One of the things we did learn from last years pilot was that the Timer was very unreliable and so it was completely redone.

          The small font size issue can be made better by just pressing CTRL-+ in the web browser to zoom the web page larger. I didn't figure that out until I was looking at the software after the tournament. It would be nice, though, if the text could be black text on a white background. Gray text on a gray background is very hard to read when using a video projector in less than ideal lighting environments that we normally have for tournaments.

          Jeff
          We do have black text on a white background on alternate lines. We thought it would be easier to follow from the team name to it's scores that way.
          I wonder whether bold text would be better.

          For now I'd prefer not to increase the font size because tournaments with higher resolution screens benefit from the way it is now. Down the line we could make this configurable but for now I think I'll document your solution in the user guide. What do you think, Jeff?

          Comment


          • #20
            I thought that the CTRL + solution worked well, just wish I would have discovered it sooner. Putting it in the documentation is a great idea and will help others be aware of this way to customize the displayed font size.

            Note that at a small event I attended, the scoreboard didn't need to scroll the team list at the default zoom level. All teams fit on the screen at the same time. As I made the text bigger by repeatedly pressing CTRL +, the text eventually was large enough that scrolling was required. The team list correctly started scrolling at that point. When I then pressed CTRL - to zoom back out, the scrolling continued, even though it was no longer needed. A reload of the scoreboard web page resolved this.

            Jeff

            Jeff Bartig
            Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Jeff Bartig View Post
              I thought that the CTRL + solution worked well, just wish I would have discovered it sooner. Putting it in the documentation is a great idea and will help others be aware of this way to customize the displayed font size.
              Documented https://github.com/FirstLegoLeague/L...ection-systems

              Opened a bug about zoom back out.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by alanggreen View Post

                That's good to hear. We had a problem we're having difficulty solving, and the behavior you describe is our workaround.



                That's excellent feedback. We've done all our testing on a computer screen - much better resolution than a projector. I'll take this to the development team.

                I presume you are referring to the time between matches and not when the timer is being overlaid onto the scores..

                Alan, this is the feedback about the "something about the scoring" that i referenced. I wasn't personally involved in this, only watching from the referee side, so I will just copy, paste exactly what they said about it. everything below is from the team running the software at the event,

                Thanks.
                J

                That was a bit of user error on the scoring side. One of the scoring volunteers was trying to be helpful and had attempted to enter the match schedule into the scoring software. Something about the way the data was entered seemed to throw off the concept of

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by J Church View Post
                  That was a bit of user error on the scoring side. One of the scoring volunteers was trying to be helpful and had attempted to enter the match schedule into the scoring software. Something about the way the data was entered seemed to throw off the concept of
                  This forum software doesn't handle pasting from other sources very well.

                  The post you replied to had to do with the Timer. Was the volunteer entering team or match information? Your poster said "match" but previously I referred to a problem with entering team info



                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by alanggreen View Post

                    This forum software doesn't handle pasting from other sources very well.

                    The post you replied to had to do with the Timer. Was the volunteer entering team or match information? Your poster said "match" but previously I referred to a problem with entering team info


                    I also mentioned a scoreboard issue, and didn't know if it was software or user related, and said i would get you specifics. that is what the pasted data was supposed to be, the reply from the team that was running the scoreboard, lets try that again. I will type it this time.


                    "That was a bit of user error on the scoring side. One of the volunteers was trying to be helpful and had attempted to enter the match schedule into the scoring software. Something about the way the data was entered seems to throw off the concept of "stages"
                    Scores only display on the scoreboard in "ranking" stage
                    The solution was to remove match schedule info and then we were able to set it to "ranking" and the scores displayed fine after that.
                    From what i read on the FLL-tools github site is that the only value of entering the match schedule is to track whether the tournament is on schedule but it only works if you import the data, not manually enter. It appears to be a beta feature, I told them not to enter it due to this, but it got lost in translation"







                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X