How important are Core Values ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rbbbbb View Post
    If you're coaching Elementary school, be on the lookout for a family that can take over your graduates, turn them into a living room team, and keep your hard work alive by keeping the kids together.
    I was able to help get a team started at our middle school so.my kids have a place to keep competing. I hadn't thought of getting them to start a home based team. The MS team had a rough year, so we're going to try to do some off season training together. My new 3rd graders will learn from my current team what they've learned so far. We're also going to partner with a local Catholic school team to do the off season training. Some of the older kids will be reaching the newer kids.

Comment

Good deal, Tim. You're doing all the right stuff already. Your idea about a paragraph from each team member is ideal, I've done things like that and it works well for me.

I hope some more of the regulars will chime in here with their experiences. It will be quite varied, I'm sure.

You've reached out to other schools and helped start teams? You're working on off season training? My impression is that your experience with FLL is already very deep, you're doing more than the vast majority of our coaches get up to. Have you ever talked to your Partner? Very possibly they're looking for more people with dedication and judgement to help them manage the region, build more teams, volunteer at qualifiers and tournaments. As you start helping more at that level, you'll naturally meet the people who have the missing puzzle pieces.

But you haven't mentioned judging yet, and I'm one of the great believers that coaches who judge "get it." Either your region or the regions next to you are about to hold tournaments, and they need you, and your head will explode with everything you learn.

I spoke with a coach just a couple of weekends ago. Seven year veteran, her team had a crazily unique solution to a problem that shows they're doing their own work and at a very high programming level. She could see that teams in her city were slowly falling off, but teams in other cities in our region were growing and learning and getting better. She wanted to step in and, in her words, "be a coach who helps other coaches," but she didn't know how to start. Despite her vast experience, she wasn't comfortable just stepping in and doing stuff, she didn't want to step out of her place. She had never considered judging, or organizing a scrimmage, or even calling her Partner or New Hampshire for advice. There isn't an advocate in her area that is a member of our region's advisory board. Time to get her powered up!

Your experience is different than hers, but I know that the local stalwarts who organize your qualifiers and run your tournaments would love to bring you in. I say again, based on twelve lines of text you've written, you may be most needed at the CV judging room.

I'm a great coach at spreading enthusiasm and knowledge of programming and speaking skills. I'm not particularly well mentally equipped at organizing a network of volunteers, but that's the level I'm at working at now. As a numbers guy, I can see the need to take great coaches and advance them to regular judges who can run a scrimmage and help rookie coaches. I see the need to create many more of those essential volunteers who run a qualifier or maintain the region. I need advice more than you do! How do we create more of the most dedicated volunteers? Other than pestering them on the forum when they ask a simple question?

Comment

Originally posted by Rbbbbb View Post

But you haven't mentioned judging yet, and I'm one of the great believers that coaches who judge "get it." Either your region or the regions next to you are about to hold tournaments, and they need you, and your head will explode with everything you learn.
        I plan to volunteer as a judge next year. I don't think having an inexperienced judge would be such a great idea at State, so I plan to work a couple of the earlier tournaments in my region next fall. I've never heard of a scrimmage in my area, but I think we could make that happen. Our school is supportive and should let us host here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
          I've never heard of a scrimmage in my area, but I think we could make that happen. Our school is supportive and should let us host here.
          Do you have any FRC teams in your area? They might be interested in helping.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
            I don't think having an inexperienced judge would be such a great idea at State, so I plan to work a couple of the earlier tournaments in my region next fall.
            Your region may be different than mine. In my region, we are always desperately looking for judges, at almost every event. From your comments here, I suspect that you're a much more viable candidate than you realize. I could be wrong, your region may be different.

Suppose you contact your partner, or the tourney director, and ask "Can I be the third judge in a pair?" "Can you at least pair me with an experienced judge?" Probably, you'll be the quiet new judge in the room, which will still teach you everything you're looking for. Possibly, you'll come in that morning and hear: "Okay, you're a coach, so we're pairing you with my grandmother, who doesn't know anything about Core Values or FLL but she's nice with kids."

It can't hurt to ask. If it's a good idea, it will happen, and if it doesn't, they will politely say "we're good on judges but we need another grownup at the robot queuing table."

I just got a reply from a rookie coach in my area this morning. His team did pretty well at my Qualifier, but didn't advance, so I twisted his arm. Like you, he seems capable and well spoken. If I'm wrong about either one of you, oops. But not as bad as grabbing parents out of the stands and handing them a rubric for the first time on game day. And he will be supercharged for his team next year.

I'm a broken record, I know. But think about it!

Comment

I'll reach out and ask.

Comment

Working...
              X