New Core Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Core Values

Looks like the FLL Core Values have changed: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/core-values

From the page:
    We express the FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
    • Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
    • Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
    • Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
    • Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
    • Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
    • Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!

I had heard on a Facebook group that this was probably coming in order to align the Core Values across all of FIRST's program.

I like some aspects of this. I appreciate that the Core Values are fleshed out a bit more and include the purpose/goal/application of each Core Value rather than just a statement of fact. There are also fewer of them which eliminates some of the redundancy and will be easier for the kids to remember. But I also miss "What we discover is more important than what we win" which is a big aspect of FLL and something that it was good to introduce to new team members (and reinforce with returning team members) who got into this because it was a "cool robotics competition". I also miss it being spelled out that the kids/team members do the work with guidance from the coaches and mentors. That's still how my team will operate and I would assume that will be introduced through other materials in the Challenge, Coach's Handbook and other documentation. I hope that aspect is similarly stressed to rookie teams.

What does everyone else think?
    --
    Fort Worth Robotics - North Texas Region Team #455
    Technical coach, baker of the cookies, keeper of the time, transporter of the travel field walls, finder of the spare parts, maker of the pop culture references that only the other tall people understand.

There's no good way to make a acronym out of those. DIIITF just doesn't roll off the tongue. They need more DoD people on their planning committee!
    Coach, FLL Team 3146 Peace By Piece 2013 - 2016; Team 29410 The Dragon Bots 2016-2018
    Judge, FTC 2014-2015; Field Technical Advisor, FTC 2016-2018; Robot Inspector, FRC 2018

Comment

Originally posted by shelbydavis View Post
      There's no good way to make a acronym out of those. DIIITF just doesn't roll off the tongue. They need more DoD people on their planning committee!
      D-3I-T-F isn't horrible.
      Id-it-if might work...although sounds a bit like idiot which won't work.
      Din-imint-tf? Using the second letter of the ones starting with I.
      D-Inn-Imp-Inc-TF?

Yeah, no good acronyms immediately pop out.

--
      Fort Worth Robotics - North Texas Region Team #455
      Technical coach, baker of the cookies, keeper of the time, transporter of the travel field walls, finder of the spare parts, maker of the pop culture references that only the other tall people understand.

Comment

How about pronouncing it "Dee Eye cubed Tee F"?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGibbage

Where are the official Core Values for FTC/FRC? I see that, sure the heading on that page is "FIRST Core Values", and not just "FLL Core Values", and I see web pages in the FLL hierarchy that link to the new core values, but I see no FTC or FRC web pages that list the new core values, nor even link to the new core values.

For the acronym/pronounciation, I agree with the trendy DI3TF, pronounced like timdavid suggested.
          Give them time!!! The FIRST folks probably just need time to get back to the daily grind and update things.

Per the email I got from FIRST, things are being unified. I trust that they will get to it..

-------

FIRST Core Values
          To further unify the mission of FIRST and create consistency as students progress through our programs, we have created a cross-program set of values that represents the FIRST experience and the FIRST community. We are pleased to share with you the FIRST Core Values:

We express the FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
          Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
          Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
          Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
          Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
          Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
          Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!

If you should have any questions on usage, please email marketing@firstinspires.org.

Comment

We are a team.
            We do the work to find solutions with guidance from our Coaches and Mentors.
            We know our Coaches and Mentors dont have all the answers; we learn together.
            We honor the spirit of friendly competition.
            What we discover is more important than what we win.
            We share our experiences with others.
            We display Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition in everything we do.
            We have FUN!

Comment

Previous post was the old wording of the Core Values, as copied from the Animal Allies handbook.

I strongly prefer the old wording, and will continue to always use the old wording with all of my teams and every team I mentor.

I believe that the new wording lacks crucial meanings that are needed in FLL. Especially "kids do the work," and "Coaches don't know everything." I am gravely worried that new FLL coaches will not get the power and impact of the old wording.

I believe that the new wording lacks power and meaning. It appears to be "fluff." It appears to be a meaningless corporate mission statement, instead of a actual guidelines to run FLL.

I believe that our old wording would have been far superior if it had been adopted by FRC and FTC.

I am writing another nastygram to New Hampshire. I am horribly disappointed, and worried that FLL just got a little less able to do the mission of specifically helping kids learn the values.

Comment

I'd like to see the old Coaches' Promise in the rebranded materials also. I think it may have been left out of the last edition of the Coaches' Handbook.

My Promise as Coach:
                1. The children come first. FLL is about the children having fun and getting excited about science and technology. Everything my team does starts and ends with this principle.
                2. The children do the work. This is their opportunity to learn and grow. Adults can help them learn skills or information, but the children on my team do all of the programming, research, problem solving, and building.
                3. My team is:
                • comprised of ten (10) or fewer members and all team members participate on only one (1) FLL team per season
                • comprised of team members no older than the age limit in my region on January 1st of the Challenge year
                • registered as an official FLL team.
                4. FLL will communicate with my team via my primary email address I provided when I registered my team. I am responsible for reading and relaying all aspects of FLL guidelines and rules to my team, other coaches, volunteers, and parents.
                5. I will encourage my team members, other coaches, volunteers, parents, and team supporters to develop and practice a set of FLL Core Values that reflects FIRST
                Last edited by timdavid; 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

FRC often has mentors doing actual work on the robots, and that's legal within their rules. (FTC is much more student led and student run).
                  Coach, FLL Team 3146 Peace By Piece 2013 - 2016; Team 29410 The Dragon Bots 2016-2018
                  Judge, FTC 2014-2015; Field Technical Advisor, FTC 2016-2018; Robot Inspector, FRC 2018

Comment

The Coaches' Handbook has been reduced to a 16 page brochure this season. It mostly contains logos and marketing information, along links to other places with actual information.

New coaches are supposed to get much of their information from the FLL First Steps curriculum.

http://info.firstinspires.org/fll-first-steps-request

To even get to the Coaches' Handbook I had to log in to the FIRST site. Then the coach needs to request access to First Steps so they can see the curriculum.

I'm not sure why the information needs to be so protected.
                    Last edited by timdavid; 05-30-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelbydavis View Post
                      FRC often has mentors doing actual work on the robots, and that's legal within their rules. (FTC is much more student led and student run).
                      Next week, I'm following three of my retired FLL kids up to FRC. I've always heard grumbles about this situation in FRC, but never been close enough to understand what's gossip or truth or necessary evil. I will never be able to wire a panel myself without feeling bad, but I hope to become a good teacher of wiring panels, and good enough to know when to make the team member rip it out and do it over and when not to.

Ive got a lot of learning to do.

Comment

So I'm on record here as being unhappy with the new Core Values. I'm also astounded at how much the coach's manual has been eviscerated.

At Detroit this year, volunteers were treated to a some incredible guest speakers. A Canadian lady astronaut kind of stole the show, but the clearest and best message came from Dean Kamen. I'd like to eventually find the talk and post a link to the video here. I cant type and do it justice. The final message was aimed exactly at current volunteers in all four programs. Paraphrase: "What we have is working, and it is one of the best hopes for our planet and society. We don't need any more tweaking, it's good like it is. But we don't need 20% growth. And we don't need to double. We need to grow by one or maybe two orders of magnitude."

We walked away from that fired up, even more committed to live up to it. And scared, because I know how to go out and find a handful of new coaches in our area, but can I recruit and train and inspire 20?

We listened to our Partner last night, and a couple of Vista people. One thing we're hearing is to hold on until after the Partner Conference in two weeks. We may be looking at incomplete information, only part of the changes. I'm waiting. And one thing we know is that FIRST does not do well on rolling out changes coherently, things tend to leak out rather than be announced.

I'm worried about a "dumbing down" of the coach's manual. I'm worried about the dilution of the Core Values. I'm worried we're going to lose the magic sauce that makes this work. But I also have a lot of faith based on the character of the people I've met that are staff in New Hampshire. Fingers crossed. Breath held.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbbbbb View Post
                          I'm worried about a "dumbing down" of the coach's manual. I'm worried about the dilution of the Core Values. I'm worried we're going to lose the magic sauce that makes this work. But I also have a lot of faith based on the character of the people I've met that are staff in New Hampshire. Fingers crossed. Breath held.
                          I have faith in FIRST and FLL also, but I'm not impressed with the overall content and layout on the web site or on youtube.

One of the items linked to in the information on the web site (https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/start-a-team) is a series of videos titled "Coach Quick Tips". I watched a couple of the videos and I was very disappointed. Each video is about one minute long. Each video contains about 10 seconds of unique content with a few pithy statements. The remaining 50 seconds is the same for each video, and is spent explaining the FIRST Vista program.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URbvG4uwFpnzcj

Frankly, this content is embarrassing. FIRST can do better.

Last edited by timdavid; 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post
                            The Coaches' Handbook has been reduced to a 16 page brochure this season. It mostly contains logos and marketing information, along links to other places with actual information.

New coaches are supposed to get much of their information from the FLL First Steps curriculum.

http://info.firstinspires.org/fll-first-steps-request

To even get to the Coaches' Handbook I had to log in to the FIRST site. Then the coach needs to request access to First Steps so they can see the curriculum.

I'm not sure why the information needs to be so protected.
                            I couldn't find it based off the instructions above, but it was in the resources section of the FIRST site. Here is a direct link to the document:

https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/...k-20182019.pdf

It's a sad document for sure!
                            Last edited by cschaffer; 05-30-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbbbbb View Post
                              At Detroit this year, volunteers were treated to a some incredible guest speakers. A Canadian lady astronaut kind of stole the show, but the clearest and best message came from Dean Kamen. I'd like to eventually find the talk and post a link to the video here. I cant type and do it justice. The final message was aimed exactly at current volunteers in all four programs. Paraphrase: "What we have is working, and it is one of the best hopes for our planet and society. We don't need any more tweaking, it's good like it is. But we don't need 20% growth. And we don't need to double. We need to grow by one or maybe two orders of magnitude."
                              I do have a copy of that video since my kids were also speakers, but FIRST should have something posted on their YouTube channel soon. My copy is just something they shared with the speakers. If we are informed of the official video being posted, I'll let you know.
                              Mentor: Not the Droids You Are Looking For - retired (World Festival Champion's 2018)
                              Judge: Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open, Mountain State
                              Head Referee: Western PA Championships

Comment

Working...
                              X