Core value judging session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core value judging session

Does core value judging session for "City Shaper" still follow the format of 4 min activity and then QA ?

The Core values judging experience can vary quite wildly from region to region, event to event and even room to room at a given event. In my experience, it totally depends on the judge, and any region rules in effect. When I am head judge, I at least try to make sure all of my CV rooms are following a set procedure, but does it happen every time? Hard to say. I would not depend on having a set schedule as you suggested, unless your region publicly says they intend to do so. Be ready for anything!
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

It should never depend on the judge, procedure should be the same for all judges at a tournament and consistent for all tournaments in a region. Having some sort of teamwork activity is becoming popular, but not universal. If you had a teamwork activity last year it is likely you will have one again this year. If you had to make a core values poster last year it is likely you will need to make a core values poster this year. If you want to know for sure you should check with your local FLL affiliate or, better yet, your tournament director.

Comment

Dean, believe me, I wish it was that simple. We always prepare to give a presentation. What inevitably happens is we do the exercise/challenge, then they start asking questions. Maybe a kid talks too long, maybe the judges lose track of the time. The end result is sometimes they give us time to present and sometimes they don't. If they said something like "your team will have five minutes to present, guaranteed" (similar to how we do the project), that would be great. So I end up teaching my kids to be flexible and expect anything. It's not easy, but I think it is a good life lesson.

By the way, this is not meant to be a criticism of the wonderful work the volunteer judges and partners do in my region. I wouldn't trade them for anyone! I'm just saying that this keeps us on our toes!
        Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

Oh, and I guess I should add that since I am a head judge at some of the regionals in VA, I do try my best to teach the volunteer judges what to do during the judging session. We don't require posters in VA-DC, but many teams still do them. When a team does a poster, we always "try" to give them a chance to talk about it for a few minutes. But like I said, sometimes they do a poster and still don't get a chance to present. For example, one year at our state tournament my team brought in their poster and set it down in the classroom in a place where the judges couldn't see it (lesson learned!). After the CV exercise and Q&A period, the team asked if they could talk about their poster, and the judges realized what had happened, but at that point it was too late. There were only a few seconds left.

My point is, unless we redo the way we do CV, where the team can present first, guaranteeing them time to present (just like we do for the research project), there will always be situations where teams that wanted to present something, for whatever reason, cannot. And that's not going to happen because the exercise will always take precedence. And honestly, I am OK with that, I will train my judges to do their best, and I know the judges will do their best to give each team a fair chance, but I know that sometimes things will come up and it won't work out.
          Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

I would also recommend you talk to your state or regional FLL affiliate. I know that in Ohio, for example, the core values judging will be different this year. (I'm not really allowed to elaborate because final details are still being ironed out. Once they are official, I will be happy to share.) So definitely reach out to whomever is in charge in your state or local tournament.

Comment

Working...
            X