Lego EV3 After School Program Startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lego EV3 After School Program Startup

I'm starting up an afterschool program for Lego EV3 and I was looking for some guidance and norms on how these programs are generally run. Right now the school holds onto the kits and we meet once a week, (5th graders). So I was curious if most programs do that or is there a practice of issuing the kits to one person on the team to encourage group get togethers and practice on off time. Meeting just once a week seems woefully inadequate.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Lego EV3 After School Program Startup

Is the afterschool program just robotics or is it specifically FLL? My team has issues with lack of robots, more time and more robots always helps more kids have access, but they are expensive, so the kids with their own personal robots are usually much further ahead.

Comment

Re: Lego EV3 After School Program Startup

Originally posted by mikes8500 View Post
      I'm starting up an afterschool program for Lego EV3 and I was looking for some guidance and norms on how these programs are generally run. Right now the school holds onto the kits and we meet once a week, (5th graders). So I was curious if most programs do that or is there a practice of issuing the kits to one person on the team to encourage group get togethers and practice on off time. Meeting just once a week seems woefully inadequate.

Thanks,

Mike
      In FLL school-based teams, the robots usually stay at the school. There's too much risk of losing important parts, the robot being left at home instead of being at the next meeting, and it avoids the issue of whether the kids are developing their own individual programs (absent any teamwork). For a regular-old after-school program, the teamwork issue isn't a big factor. But losing the kits or parts could be.
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
      X