FLL as a school class?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLL as a school class?

Last year was our middle school's first year with FLL (6th, 7th and 8th graders). We are tossing around the idea of making FLL a class this fall. Students in the class will be on the team. The class will meet every day for one hour. We will also have two-hour practices after school, three days a week. We haven't fully worked out the curriculum for the class (will it be just robotics, or will it also be core values and project???) We also have not worked out exams and graded work. In other words, we haven't done anything except talk about it as a crazy idea that just might work.

I'd love to hear from other teachers/coaches that have tried incorporating FLL as a school course. I have a ton of questions but I don't even really know where to start.
    Regards,
    Skip Morrow

2016 Animal Allies
    2015 Trash Trek
    2014 World Class Learning

Re: FLL as a school class?

Quite a few schools in this region have a fall-season (or all-year) robotics course, and participation on a LEGO League team is part of the curriculum.

Due to FIRST's "10 kids per team" limit, a school class is going to have to sponsor multiple teams. I see that quite a lot at tournament - kids from the same school on multiple teams, all with the same color t-shirts.
    FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
    FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
    Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

Working...
    X