Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voting ?????

Originally posted by pixie View Post
    My team submitted this year but they gave up really quick on the idea that they could end up in the top 10 by votes. We are just a neighborhood group, there is no way for us to keep up with that kind of voting.
    I find the idea of voting for oneself and enlisting others to do the same to be distasteful. I know that modesty is not one of the core values, but neither is vanity and shameless self promotion.

Like anything else in FLL the idea here is to learn and have fun. Winning is unimportant. Get your idea out there and see how people respond. Refrain from voting for yourself and you'll know that every vote you receive means somebody thinks your idea is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
      I find the idea of voting for oneself and enlisting others to do the same to be distasteful. I know that modesty is not one of the core values, but neither is vanity and shameless self promotion.

Like anything else in FLL the idea here is to learn and have fun. Winning is unimportant. Get your idea out there and see how people respond. Refrain from voting for yourself and you'll know that every vote you receive means somebody thinks your idea is great.

Good point, my team met today and we actually did drawing and wrote an abstract to submit a provisional patent--it was a learning process for both the team and myself. Prior to this we spoke with a design engineer and got some great suggestions to improve our product. "What we discover is more important than what we win."
      But, it I am being honest, it would be NICE to be one of the winning solutions!

Comment

Possibly another way of looking at things...or just adding fuel to the fire, so my apologies if it turns out that way!

My team is is in regular contact with an international Global Innovation team. After seeing the invention in question, my kids decided to support their friends.

Team meetings now see any "non-busy" members at a computer voting for the other team.

There's no benefit to my team, and the voting is rather time-consuming and dull for an otherwise hyperactive bunch - but they are very dedicated to the idea. Not only do they like the invention, they REALLY want to see their friends do well.

I can't speak for anyone but my team, but there seems to be some GP value in our corner of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamLeader View Post
          Possibly another way of looking at things...or just adding fuel to the fire, so my apologies if it turns out that way!

My team is is in regular contact with an international Global Innovation team. After seeing the invention in question, my kids decided to support their friends.

Team meetings now see any "non-busy" members at a computer voting for the other team.

There's no benefit to my team, and the voting is rather time-consuming and dull for an otherwise hyperactive bunch - but they are very dedicated to the idea. Not only do they like the invention, they REALLY want to see their friends do well.

I can't speak for anyone but my team, but there seems to be some GP value in our corner of the world.
          My personal opinion; I think that's a terrible waste of time for your team.
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
            My personal opinion; I think that's a terrible waste of time for your team.
            I must be feeling soft-hearted today, but the post by TeamLeader instilled the opposite reaction in me. If the voting aspect of the Global Innovation Award helps one team connect with another in a different part of the globe, and causes the kids to perform some altruistic behavior, perhaps it is worthwhile.

I think the voting for the award is there solely to promote interest in the contest. That is not a bad thing. If the voting causes people to examine the ideas put out by various teams, than it has achieved a worthwhile purpose.

I don't really worry that kids are wasting their time voting for another team's idea. I've been fortunate to have coached some very focused kids over the years, but I can still think of numerous times the kids have "wasted" time on far more frivolous behavior than voting for the Global Innovation Award.

I'm still concerned that the contest is marred by robo-voting, but I have no problem with kids spending time voting for other teams' ideas.
            Last edited by timdavid; 02-21-2013, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post
              I must be feeling soft-hearted today, but the post by TeamLeader instilled the opposite reaction in me. If the voting aspect of the Global Innovation Award helps one team connect with another in a different part of the globe, and causes the kids to perform some altruistic behavior, perhaps it is worthwhile.

I think the voting for the award is there solely to promote interest in the contest. That is not a bad thing. If the voting causes people to examine the ideas put out by various teams, than it has achieved a worthwhile purpose.

I don't really worry that kids are wasting their time voting for another team's idea. I've been fortunate to have coached some very focused kids over the years, but I can still think of numerous times the kids have "wasted" time on far more frivolous behavior than voting for the Global Innovation Award.

I'm still concerned that the contest is marred by robo-voting, but I have no problem with kids spending time voting for other teams' ideas.
              Voting for your favorite idea, that's a nice thing.

Voting multiple times for the same idea, that just seems pointless. There's no additional learning happening, and allowing multiple votes just encourages the robo-voting that undermines the value of the whole enterprise.
              FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
              X