Changes to the GIA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the GIA

Big Changes to the Global Innovation Award this year. Teams will no longer be able to nominate themselves. Nominations will come from the team deemed to have the most innovative solution at a championship event.
    I understand that FIRST is trying to weed out less optimal entries, but I feel they will miss out on some outstanding contenders by doing this. Thoughts?
    Coach, FLL - Robot Rights 436
    Mentor, FTC - Moderately Dangerous 6150

Re: Changes to the GIA

Last year my team was a GIA semi finalist. We almost didn't apply for the GIA for a number of useless reasons (useless in hindsight). I imagine a lot of other teams had the same thoughts but didn't bother applying.

With the policy change, I think the automatic submission will make the pool larger and possibly of uniformly high caliber.

One downside risk of the new policy is that you are now going to be at the whim of your regional judges. One judge we had last year (for States) wasnt paying attention for the first minute of our project presentation and didn't understand it fully. If he was deciding if we went to the GIA, we never would have made it.

Comment

I suspect FIRST is reacting to issues with the online voting that helped determine the semi-finalists in previous seasons.

I think the new nomination process is reasonable, but I agree that they will miss out on some outstanding entries by limiting the teams that can be nominated.

If I recall correctly, there were about 5 teams from the Minnesota region who submitted entries last season. With the new process in place, only one of the 600+ teams in Minnesota is eligible to be nominated.

Comment

Maybe the plan is to kill off the GIA. Seems like a good way to go about it. It's always been a bit of a mess and hardly any teams even realize it exists.

Comment

Other folks here probably know more, but I thought I recall hearing our region rep saying that 2 teams from each qualifier are nominated. Since we have about 10 qualifiers in our area, that's 20 teams. Maybe I have it wrong, but that is my recollection.

The GIA was a GREAT experience. My son was saying just last night that it was far better to be in St Louis for the GIA than the standard FLL competition because we had time to wander around and enjoy the scene. It was stressful, but FAR less stressful than an actual competition.

Comment

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
            Other folks here probably know more, but I thought I recall hearing our region rep saying that 2 teams from each qualifier are nominated. Since we have about 10 qualifiers in our area, that's 20 teams. Maybe I have it wrong, but that is my recollection.
            According to the FAQ on the FIRST site, "...each Championship event receives one regional nomination to the Global Innovation Award", but there are some regions utilizing an alternate process for the nominations. Perhaps your region is one of those utilizing an alternate process.

Just to clarify, for FIRST purposes, all of Minnesota is one "region", and our State Championship is the only "Championship event". The term region can be confusing, because the early qualifying tournaments in Minnesota are called "regional tournaments".

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
            The GIA was a GREAT experience. My son was saying just last night that it was far better to be in St Louis for the GIA than the standard FLL competition because we had time to wander around and enjoy the scene. It was stressful, but FAR less stressful than an actual competition.
            Glad to hear. I really like the concept of the GIA. The robots tend to get more exposure at competitions (and on youtube). It is nice to see something publicizing the project solutions.
            Last edited by timdavid; 11-07-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

If I`m right, in the past it was also possible for teams outside the US to submit entries to the GIA. So if that now goes over the championship events, there won`t be that chance anymore?

Comment

Areas outside North America have championship events.

So it says, "most regions will nominate the top ranked team in the Innovative Solution Project Award category at their Championship." What if the team that was far and away the most innovative and would have received the Innovative Solution award is bumped up to the Champion award?

Comment

It doesn't say the team that receives the Innovative Solution Project Award. The two statements are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                    It doesn't say the team that receives the Innovative Solution Project Award. The two statements are not the same.
                    I agree. But the team that got the award would expect the nomination, wouldn't they? I wouldn't like to be the event coordinator that has to explain why they weren't nominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
                      I agree. But the team that got the award would expect the nomination, wouldn't they? I wouldn't like to be the event coordinator that has to explain why they weren't nominated.
                      Yes, the highest ranking team in a category doesn't not always win the award in that particular category, but I don't think most tournament directors like to advertise that fact. I suspect that most GIA nominees will be the winner of the Innovative Solution award at their championship tournament.

Frankly, if the team that wins the overall champion award would have otherwise won the Innovative Solution award, I'm fine with that team not being nominated for the GIA. The overall Champion already received the top prize at a tournament - spread the wealth and let another team pursue the GIA.

Comment

So we had our qualifying tournament yesterday in the Southern California region and we received the "Global Innovation Award Regional Honorable Mention" and we are moving forward to the regional competition in early December. I was peripherally aware of the GIA from previous years but we never had as strong a project as the kids came up with this year so this is a bit new territory to me. It sounds like it is also a departure on how things are happening from previous years, so perhaps it is new to everyone. So, I am curious what to expect from here. Is it that we will just be competing at the regional competition and there possibly receive the nomination from the region? Or would there be something different? The FIRST web site seems a little light on information, but it seems that would be the case: http://fllinnovation.firstlegoleague...bal-innovation

Also, it sounds like in past years GIA was held at the World Festival in St. Louis but this year it will be a separate event in Washington DC?

Thanks for any guidance.

Comment

I cant speak to how it is this year, but I can speak to how it was last year.

Last year, teams applied for the GIA via the website and then 20 teams of 522 applications from 22 countries were picked to go to St Louis (the number of total applications/countries they showed kept changing, but 522 and 22 was said the most). At St Louis, those 20 semifinalists were made GIA "ambassadors" and competed against each other. 3 teams were picked as finalists and competed in Washington DC at the patent office. There they announced the winner.

Again, I dont know how things will be done after the qualifiers this year.

Comment

We just had our Regional, the Innovation Award and GIA were awarded individually (but when to the same team along with 1st Overall). They also said the 20 team got an expenses paid trip to DC. Our team really focused on project solution this year and won the Presentation Award and had "Innovation" circled on there rubric, they were very very happy. They are still continue to share there project (Maker Faire this weekend) and plan on continuing to work on getting there solution created.
                            Good Luck All
                            Shawn

Amazon River Dolphin FLL fun fact, on here they win a trip to the Patent Office, my uncle who has about 2 dozen patents, said that does sound much like a prize.
                            Shawn -
                            Team#388 Amazon River Dolphins
                            East Montpelier Vermont.

Comment

I just noticed this thread and I thought I’d share my perspective in the hopes of letting people know a little bit about the great things that FIRST and XPRIZE have done with this award, and encouraging those teams that are selected to apply to go for it.

The team that my wife and I coach was fortunate enough to be one of the three finalists for the GIA last year, and it couldn’t have been a better experience for the kids (and the coaches). The folks at FIRST and XPRIZE truly went above and beyond for these kids.

As cschaffer mentioned, 20 semifinalist teams were chosen from the online entries to present their project ideas at the World Festival in St. Louis. Teams presented in a closed session to judges (including representatives from XPRIZE and the United States Patent and Trademark Office) and also in public sessions to the other teams and spectators. The kids’ favorite part was interacting with the other teams and seeing the amazing projects they had come up with. With so many great projects, the kids were certain they didn’t have a chance to advance, and when their name was called at the awards ceremony as the third and final team to go to D.C. they were floored. The following morning they, along with the other two finalist teams, were invited to present their project to a roomful of entrepreneurs at a brunch at the Four Seasons, followed by a VIP tour of the St. Louis Science Center. Cool.

In D.C. for the final ceremony, FIRST and XPRIZE really outdid themselves. I almost hate to mention names as there were so many that helped make it such a memorable experience and I don’t want to leave anyone out, but I would be remiss not to mention the amazing Jinnel Choiniere, Project Manager for FLL (and my daughter’s idol) who couldn’t have been nicer and more accommodating. Alan Zack, Senior Director, Marketing & Education at XPRIZE was likewise awesome. The festivities kicked off with a 2-hour session with folks from the USPTO to answer questions about the patent process. How many 10-14 year olds have that opportunity? Way cool.

The formal ceremony was first class all the way, with presentations by Dean Kamen, as well as Michelle Lee, the current head of the USPTO (and the first woman to hold that office). An example of how far the powers that be went for these kids: the team’s project was a math app for children challenged with dyslexia, and was inspired by seeing Henry Winkler speak about his challenges with dyslexia at the beginning of the season last year. The kids mentioned this in their presentation in St. Louis, and were shocked by a congratulatory video from none other than the Fonz himself at the ceremony in D.C. Way way cool.

My understanding is that this year all 20 teams will go to D.C. instead of World Festival, which makes sense, as although we were grateful to have the opportunity to attend both, travel costs can be prohibitive, especially for an international team.

So best wishes to all the teams fortunate enough to be part of the process this year -- it’s a great ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X