Team Building Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Building Activities

I have been looking for team building activities for my team, ideally comparable to those used in the competition. I have look several times, and find many suggestions for adults, and surprisingly few for kids. Can anyone recommend a website that provides team-building activities for kids?

Re: Team Building Activities

Here are some sites I am using:
    http://wilderdom.com/games/InitiativeGames.html
    http://ethemes.missouri.edu/themes/1045
    http://teambuildingactivitiesforkids.com/

I also use some of the activities from the "Tribes Learning Communities" by Jeanne Gibbs.

Comment

Here are some links to a variety of mixers and warm-up activities. Not quite the same as the Core Values activities but someplace to start.

http://gamesforgroups.com/mixergames.html

Here is another webpage with an amazing number of resources:

http://wilderdom.com/games/Icebreakers.html

Look for activities that allow the judges to see how the team interacts. Pick a challenge with an open-ended solution so there isn't just one way to solve it. The challenge should be difficult enough to get them flustered so the judges can see how they work out the solution.

Did one person take over and find a solution or was a solution chosen by the entire team even though the eventual solution was thought of by one person?

I've seen one Core Value challenge where the team was asked to pick up as many objects as possible with a crazy contraption made of ropes. None of the teams were able to pick up anything but that was not the point. The judges wanted to see how the team reacted to the frustration and ultimate realization it was an impossible task. This was done at a workshop, not an actual tournament.

Another Core Value challenge was building a tower from several different sized paper and plastic cups. Each team was given the same number of cups placed on a table. The instructions were, "Build the tallest tower."

Some teams started building the tower on the table. Some started building on the floor. One team had a very tall boy, so he put two cups on his head which made everyone laugh, but they eventually started building a tower on the floor. The height of the finished tower was not as important as the process of building the tower.

Randy
      Donate to Roosevelt Robotics at Donors Choose
      http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/639572?active=true

Comment

Thanks for posting these. I hope to use one or two in tomorrow's meeting!

Comment

My son devised this Teamwork Excercise this past weekend. He is now coaching his younger brother's team. He gave them about 12-20 film canisters. To make it more challenging, he made each one have different weight by putting washers in them.

Enjoy!

Phil
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by philso View Post
            My son devised this Teamwork Excercise this past weekend. He is now coaching his younger brother's team. He gave them about 12-20 film canisters. To make it more challenging, he made each one have different weight by putting washers in them.

Enjoy!

Phil
            Looks like fun, but I'd need to find a good substitute for "film canisters". I haven't seen those for a little while, and I don't think stacking memory cards would work as well. Perhaps we could use empty pop cans or coffee cups instead.

Comment

I forgot to say that one may have to go visit a photo processing kiosk at a pharm_acy or a place like Walmart and ask if they have the film canisters.

It might be possible to change the weight of the memory cards by loading different amounts of data onto each one

Phil
              Last edited by philso; 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM. Reason: edited since forum did not like a particular word

Comment

U can try :

Flagship
                It is a traditional folk game but highly effective for children.

Props: Small flags
                Rule of play: The teams are lined up. When the order starts, each member of the team runs up the flag for his team. After 10 minutes, the team with the most chess wins.
                Speed ​​up the pace
                Props: The wooden planks are perforated and wired as shown in the picture
                Rule of play: The teams play in a vertical line, each team of 3 members standing on a wooden board, holding their rope and moving to the finish line. Within the time limit, the team that brings all the members to the fastest finish will win
                Meaning of the game: Training ability of agility, coordination teammates of the small.
                team-building-for-tre

Artist performance
                Learning to be an artist is always a hobby that is very popular among young people. Just a fun game, just stimulate the creative ability of the little.

Props: Each team a sheet of paper A0, a set of paint
                Rule of play: Within 5-10 minutes, each team plays the same idea and draws the idea on paper with the topic suggestion of the program. The team that draws the best, the fastest and the closest is the winner.
                Modern Basketball
                Props: The baskets are perforated. A basketball for each team
                Rule of thumb: Each team receives a basket and a basketball. Little children hold on to the ropes and appoint a friend to throw the ball. During the specified time, you throw the ball into the basket of your team. The team that scores the most in the basket wins.
                Game Meaning: Coordination between team members and teamwork.
                Team building for children

Transfer ring
                Props: Each level a wooden ring 50cm in diameter
                Rule of play: The members of each team lined up and clasped their hands together, the first to head from the first to the last, without losing their hands. Any team passing quickly and without breaking the rules will win.

Organizing team building for kids is not difficult, but you need to know how to choose the game to fit the age of the baby as well as support the training skills for the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by lhuffman View Post
                  I have been looking for team building activities for my team, ideally comparable to those used in the competition. I have look several times, and find many suggestions for adults, and surprisingly few for kids. Can anyone recommend a website that provides team-building activities for kids?

lhuffman There are over 40 activities on this page on FLLTutorials.com (written by and for FIRST LEGO League): http://flltutorials.com/CoreValues.html.

I was going to also recommend Startingpoints.com which had a whole section for FLL activities and tips (it was founded by an FLL coach), but it appears they are shutting down.
                  Mentor: Not the Droids You Are Looking For - retired (World Festival Champion's 2018)
                  Judge: Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open, Mountain State
                  Head Referee: Western PA Championships

Comment

Working...
                  X