EV3 Battery Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EV3 Battery Problem

I just got my EV3, charged up the battery, pressed the center button and...NOTHING! Well, not quite nothing. The red light flickered for an instant, but not a very satisfying experience. Has anyone else had problems with the new EV3 rechargeable battery? I left the thing plugged in for 4 hours and the red light was off. Did I forget something? My EV3 runs fine on alkalines.

Re: EV3 Battery Problem

It takes a lot longer for the EV3 brick to start up than the NXT. Did you notice if the display is reading "Starting..."?

Comment

No. I have the brick running on disposable batteries and the behavior with the rechargeable is completely different. Nothing on the screen, no sounds and only a momentary flickering of the red light when I press the button, and sometimes not even that.

Comment

LEGO Education is sending me a new battery once they have some in stock. Guess I'll pick up some AA's on the way home tonight.

Comment

Apparently there are quite a few bad rechargeable batteries out there. I ordered 4 kits and got 1 bad battery. Another coach in my area got a bad one too.

Make sure you check all your batteries as soon as possible and call LEGO tech support at 866-349-5346 for a replacement if necessary.
          FLL Mentor/Coach 2006-2015
          Founding Mentor for FRC 1759: 2006-2012
          Founding Mentor for FRC 4999: 2016
          FRC Field Supervisor, Los Angeles 2007-2016
          Manager, Software Development, EMC Corp.

Comment

As you probably saw, EV3 documentation says it may take an hour of charging the first time. For me it took about 4 hours of charging but then the red blink was replaced by the device coming alive.

Comment

Good to know. With the battery installed in the EV3 I charged the battery for about 3 hours and the red led on the battery was off. I removed the battery and left it plugged in for an hour or so with no change. I might try leaving it on overnight and see if that has any effect.

Comment

Originally posted by bananabots View Post
                As you probably saw, EV3 documentation says it may take an hour of charging the first time. For me it took about 4 hours of charging but then the red blink was replaced by the device coming alive.
                I spoke a little too soon. It didn't hold much charge and was back to the red flash mode. The EV3 works great with AAs, however.

Called 866-349-5346 and they are shipping me a new battery pack now. Really easy and friendly.

Comment

Same issue, battery slow to charge and nothing but blinking red from the brick. Called Tech Support and they said they would send one out in the next week or two...
                  NX36T - Facebook

Comment

I guess is a common issue, I order 5 kits and 2 came with bad batteries. Now just waiting until I get replacements.

Comment

Looks like I've got one too. I let it charge until it was green and played with the EV3 for a little while. This morning it wouldn't turn on. Looks like LEGO has a bad supplier somewhere.

Comment

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites...0Customers.pdf

Comment

Has anyone gotten their replacement batteries yet, or heard anything about them?

Comment

Originally posted by bdwheele View Post
                            Has anyone gotten their replacement batteries yet, or heard anything about them?
                            I got a message yesterday that my replacement was shipped. I contacted LEGO Education about the problem on the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                              I got a message yesterday that my replacement was shipped. I contacted LEGO Education about the problem on the 13th.
                              Ok, I'll keep my eyes open. I reported my problem around the 21st so hopefully it will be within the next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X