X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Prime released by Lego Education

Lego Education just released a new robotics platform called Spike Prime

https://education.lego.com/en-us/pro...rime-set/45678

It seems to be in a targeting the market between FLL JR and the more advanced FLL audiences.
    If I have my facts correct, it has:
    it has 6 ports for motors and sensors. An accellerometer and 6 axis gyroscope are built in. I believe that gyro is better than what the EV3 gyro module will allow (though the hardware on the never EV3 gyros can do more than what is exposed in the software. Three external sensors are an RGB/light sensor, touch sensor, and ultra sonic. It can be programmed using scratch or (eventually) python.

Maybe FIRST will allow it for FLL, but more advanced teams might opt for the additional ports on the EV3 if they are using 4 motors. Allowing it would dovetail with the expanded programming language choices some regions offered this past season.

Comments in the Facebook Share and Learn group indicate it will be allowed for use in FLL next season, as does the information on the LEGO site itself.

SPIKE Prime brings STEAM creativity and engagement into afterschool programs, robotics clubs, coding programs and maker spaces.

For robotics competitions such as FIRST LEGO League and World Robot Olympiad the SPIKE Prime Expansion Set and Competition Ready unit help empower students and teachers who are new to robotics and in need of more formalized training.

The final lesson of the competition unit has direct ties to the annual FIRST LEGO League Robot Game, making this the ideal start of the exciting competitions journey in or out of the classroom.
    I'm a little surprised by the marketing materials that indicate it is simpler than the EV3, but targeted at grades 6 to 8. The experienced 7th and 8th graders in our region are often ready to move on to FTC. They aren't looking for something simpler than the EV3. Perhaps it will be a good starting point for younger or less experienced teams.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/2/18...chnic-robotics
    Last edited by timdavid; 04-03-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I was looking at this and it looks like they're adding some new pieces that might add some functionality too. Those wheels look nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
        I was looking at this and it looks like they're adding some new pieces that might add some functionality too. Those wheels look nice...
        "...new wheel design that has been designed for minimal contact surface with the ground in order to have less friction and more control..."

Are low friction wheels always the best option for an FLL bot? I look forward to seeing the results of some experiments from teams.

Comment

Allowing its' use in FLL forces me to buy a set and evaluate. Looks very compact and I'm glad to see LEGO bricks return to MINDSTORMS.

I think the transition from FLL to FTC is fueled by boredom with the Challenge, not the robot controller. Programming reminds me of RCX. Scratch is a nice choice.
          Last edited by Dean Hystad; 04-03-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
            Allowing its' use in FLL forces me to buy a set and evaluate. Looks very compact and I'm glad to see LEGO bricks return to MINDSTORMS.
            Darn, forced to buy more LEGOs. Life is rough...

The hub/brain for Spike Prime looks very small, and I don't see a screen, just a few buttons. Is it meant to be controlled by phone or tablet via bluetooth?

Update. it has a "a customizable 5x5 light matrix". I guess that may be enough of a display for a simple master controller program.
            https://education.lego.com/en-us/pro...arge-hub/45601
            Last edited by timdavid; 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

The angled and boxy motors are very nice for FLL. Much easier to build robots (both for driving motors and power-takeoff motors). And the expansion set is of greater value IMO (compared to EV3 expansion set), because it will include 1 large motor and 1 color sensor, which together will the core prime set will give you 2 large motors, 2 medium motors, and 2 color sensors.
              Last edited by ws1088; 04-03-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post

"...new wheel design that has been designed for minimal contact surface with the ground in order to have less friction and more control..."

Are low friction wheels always the best option for an FLL bot? I look forward to seeing the results of some experiments from teams.
                I hadn't had a chance to read all the descriptions and everything. I was just looking at the shape... Lots of places to connect things to, which is always an issue for us -- the way the large motors are designed look like it will make it much easier to include in a solid design. My kids (when they first meet the EV3 kit) have no idea how to make a stable robot. This would give them some simpler ways to do it. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a set over the summer...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post

I hadn't had a chance to read all the descriptions and everything. I was just looking at the shape... Lots of places to connect things to, which is always an issue for us -- the way the large motors are designed look like it will make it much easier to include in a solid design. My kids (when they first meet the EV3 kit) have no idea how to make a stable robot. This would give them some simpler ways to do it. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a set over the summer...
                  It's only available via pre-order right now, and it's not starting to ship until August per the LEGO site. Makes the schedule tight for trying to test it out before FLL or FLL Jr season.
                  Founding member, FRC team 422 (1999-2001)
                  Mentor, FRC team 422 (2002-2003)
                  Volunteer - various FRC and FLL events, 2000-2009, 2016, 2018, 2019
                  FLL Jr coach 2017 Aqua Adventure, 2018 Mission Moon

Comment

Originally posted by melitami View Post

It's only available via pre-order right now, and it's not starting to ship until August per the LEGO site. Makes the schedule tight for trying to test it out before FLL or FLL Jr season.
                    My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Out state referee advisor just sent out an email with a direct quote from FIRST:

[I]SPIKE Prime will be approved for use in FIRST
                      Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                      2014 World Class Learning (coach)
                      2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
                      2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
                      2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
                      2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

OMG, I should have known better....

SPIKE Prime will be approved for use in FIRST LEGO League starting in August 2019, and will participate alongside Mindstorms EV3, NXT, and RCX.
                        Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                        2014 World Class Learning (coach)
                        2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
                        2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
                        2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
                        2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

What about programming? Are they going to deprecate or discontinue support of the so well-established mindstorms block programming? Is scratch so better, can't agree though... Python, maybe, more powerful but only advantageous in math, no? I'm very disappointed btw that no one pushes mindstorms to next level, so close to full OOD and embedded - maybe the code inside was too ugly to maintain and had too many bugs like the nondeterministic behavior of the gyro sensor or button event handler?

Comment

Also, are they going to update their LDD parts inventory to support prime? It's still a mystery why and how they killed the software. How come, how come?

Comment

Ok. Completed visual review - except its cables are easier to route, Spike Prime core parts (controller/electrical) don't seem to have advantage over EV3 (not sure about the gyro or ultrasonic sensor accuracy). On programming side, it'll be harder next year for judges to rank a mindstorms team vs scratch team ...

Comment

Working...
                              X