• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new SET # is 4 5 6 7 8 LoL
    I'm going to put up a PINK bot

Comment

Originally posted by cleverstar View Post
      Ok. Completed visual review - except its cables are easier to route, Spike Prime core parts (controller/electrical) don't seem to have advantage over EV3 (not sure about the gyro or ultrasonic sensor accuracy). On programming side, it'll be harder next year for judges to rank a mindstorms team vs scratch team ...
      I beg to disagree. It will be much easier to use SPIKE to build a robot. Just use the yellow base, stuck the 2 motors on top, then the hub on top and a caster wheel. that's it. Ask a six grader to do this with EV3 and you will see nights-and-days difference. IMO as always.
      Last edited by ws1088; 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ws1088 View Post

I beg to disagree. It will be much easier to use SPIKE to build a robot. Just use the yellow base, stuck the 2 motors on top, then the hub on top and a caster wheel. that's it. Ask a six grader to do this with EV3 and you will see nights-and-days difference. IMO as always.
        Agreed

Comment

In one of the spike intro videos, it was claimed that the motors are "highly accurate". That stood out to me as something curious to claim, as if they were saying it is more accurate than the EV3. Maybe that's just me reading between the lines. If indeed it is more accurate (no or less slack, better synchronization, speed of the motor is consistent regardless of power level, etc) then maybe that could outweigh having fewer ports.

The odometry monster could rise from the ashes and start taking over whole FLL tables.

Comment

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
            In one of the spike intro videos, it was claimed that the motors are "highly accurate". That stood out to me as something curious to claim, as if they were saying it is more accurate than the EV3. Maybe that's just me reading between the lines. If indeed it is more accurate (no or less slack, better synchronization, speed of the motor is consistent regardless of power level, etc) then maybe that could outweigh having fewer ports.

The odometry monster could rise from the ashes and start taking over whole FLL tables.
            Odometry will never work well. It is a limitation of the approach, not the tools. No need to fear.

I seldom see EV3 robots with all sensor ports filled. I'm sure most spike prime robots will have 1 or more ports open. 4 motors, 2 light sensors, multiple gyros and accelerometers and 1 open port will be a common config.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post

Odometry will never work well. It is a limitation of the approach, not the tools. No need to fear.

I seldom see EV3 robots with all sensor ports filled. I'm sure most spike prime robots will have 1 or more ports open. 4 motors, 2 light sensors, multiple gyros and accelerometers and 1 open port will be a common config.
              I think LEGO group purposely made it so giving no obvious advantage to either the veteran EV3 teams or the rookie Spike teams.
              If the new gyro will NOT drift, all veterans have to start all over again from scratch with Spike
              Last edited by cleverstar; 04-12-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I'm sure most spike prime robots will have 1 or more ports open. 4 motors, 2 light sensors, multiple gyros and accelerometers and 1 open port will be a common config.
                Aren't there 6 ports on the Spike Prime? Wouldn't 4 motors with 2 light sensors fill up the available ports?

It does help that the gyro is built in. And I agree that most EV3 teams don't use all the available ports. I think 6 ports will be plenty for most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post

Aren't there 6 ports on the Spike Prime? Wouldn't 4 motors with 2 light sensors fill up the available ports?

It does help that the gyro is built in. And I agree that most EV3 teams don't use all the available ports. I think 6 ports will be plenty for most teams.
                  It will take a while (maybe 10 minutes of play time) to stop thinking sensor ports and motor ports. My math is all messed up with prime, but I think I'll really like being able to plug wires into a convenient port instead of the correct type of port.

Comment

I think LEGO maybe spares 5 minutes a year thinking about FLL. If more ports made prime a better platform and that pushed significant sales you would see more ports. Prime has 6 ports because that is enough for their Education branch, oh and probably enough for FLL, and about the maximum number of sockets that fit in the controller. FLL parity was never a thought, let alone a consideration.

Comment

I think LEGO maybe spares 5 minutes a year thinking about FLL. If more ports made prime a better platform and that pushed significant sales you would see more ports. Prime has 6 ports because that is enough for their Education branch, oh and probably enough for FLL, and about the maximum number of sockets that fit in the controller. FLL parity was never a thought, let alone a consideration.
                      My wife tells me all the time that the whole world doesn't revolve around FLL. Now there is physical proof. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by cleverstar View Post
                        Ok. Completed visual review - except its cables are easier to route, Spike Prime core parts (controller/electrical) don't seem to have advantage over EV3 (not sure about the gyro or ultrasonic sensor accuracy). On programming side, it'll be harder next year for judges to rank a mindstorms team vs scratch team ...
                        Could they just allow scratch programming on the Mindstorms ev3? That would even things out on the programming side. Although Mindstorms teams could still use the EV3 block based programming. I am not sure if scratch for the ev3 is more versatile than the lego block programming, but I found the lego block programming to be quite cumbersome to use, esp with routines and math.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyingDutchMan View Post

Could they just allow scratch programming on the Mindstorms ev3? That would even things out on the programming side. Although Mindstorms teams could still use the EV3 block based programming. I am not sure if scratch for the ev3 is more versatile than the lego block programming, but I found the lego block programming to be quite cumbersome to use, esp with routines and math.
                          Also running from info on the facebook group, python will apparently be legal next year for EV3.
                          FLL alumni, mentor, referee, judge

Comment

EV3 supports writing equations using text with up to 4 input variables. NXT was cumbersome.

Comment

Scratch wasn't allowed last year in the pilot program because it was a tethered language, the program runs on your computer, not the EV3, so you need an active communication port. This seems to be the default based on Scratch for Arduinos.
                              After hours of searching I found a German video that seems to show the Scratch program can be downloaded to Spike.

How much effort is it to convert Scratch to a non-tethered version, and will Lego undertake that for EV3?

Comment

Working...
                              X