Spike Prime released by Lego Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fasvi View Post
    My team is in the middle of a lively debate about whether to use Spike Prime or EV3. They have drawn up a list of pros and cons. One idea that might be useful to this discussion is the look of the new CityShaper board. This is only my second year coaching, but the board looks quite different to me than the other boards I have seen. Line following seems strongly emphasized.....
    The City Shaper board reminds me of the Smart Move board. The Smart Move season was before the introduction of the EV3, so most teams used the NXT. The Smart Move board had lots of lines to follow and a ramp to climb if desired.

For City Shaper, I'm sure we will see teams successfully using either the EV3 or Spike Prime. It's quite possible to build reasonably compact bots with the EV3. I don't think the City Shaper board was designed especially to favor the Spike Prime, but I do wonder if it was designed to slightly discourage the huge bots and attachments that have come to dominate the robot game in recent seasons.

Comment

The obvious answer is to do both.

Transition years are always interesting. Nano Quest (2006) was the transition from RCX to NXT. NXT was perceived to be so superior that teams using RCX were awarded bonus points. When all the results were in RCX and NXT teams ended up scoring the same points, without the RCX bonus. There was no real advantage to having a robot that drove straight and made accurate turns (things that were really difficult to do with RCX), and scoring points was determined by creativity and effective problem solving.

Nature's Fury (2013) saw the introduction of EV3. Either FLL learned their lesson with Nano Quest, or nobody saw EV3 having any advantage over NXT, because there was no NXT bonus. I'm sure somebody ran the numbers after the season, but there was no keen interest like with NXT, and I don't have any data about which platform did better. The eye test showed no real difference, and many teams used a hodge podge of both platforms, swearing the NXT motors worked (or fit) better, and the NXT light sensors had more sensitivity, but the EV3 had the gyro. In any case, team success was determined by creativity and effective problem solving,

I look forward to studying (playing with) Spike Prime. So far I see nothing that makes it a better or worse FLL platform. It is more compact, but you have fewer ports. It has a huge backlit display, but it is ultra low resolution. The changes I see in Spike Prime have nothing to do with FLL and everything to do with being a better toy. The controller looks cool, and the system works with traditional LEGO bricks. It is colorful, and it lights up, and the programming language is going to be familiar to a lot of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
        It has a huge backlit display, but it is ultra low resolution.
        That's really funny. Isn't it just 5 big lights?

Comment

Originally posted by fasvi View Post

That's really funny. Isn't it just 5 big lights?
          That's definitely ultra low!

Comment

It's a 5x5 matrix:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SkipMorrow; 06-27-2019, 01:04 PM.
            Norfolk, Virginia, USA
            FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

For a lot of uses a 5x5 matrix of lamps works better than a high resolution display. I can see using one row of lamps to indicate the intensity level of a light sensor and three rows of lights to draw a right or left arrow to indicate which direction the robot steers during line following. This would be easy to see while the robot is running and could provide useful debugging information (in addition to looking really cool). You could do something similar with the EV3 display, but it would be much harder to see (as well as not looking nearly as cool).

Comment

The release of SPIKE Prime has been delayed to early 2020. Teams that pre-ordered a set received notification today about the delay. The product listing on the LEGO Education website also says "Shipping beings early 2020" now.
                EV3Lessons.com and FLLTutorials.com Founders
                FLL #51 World Festival Champion's 2018 (retired)
                FRC Not the Droids You Are Looking For (Rookie season 2020)

Comment

Originally posted by EV3Lessons View Post
                  The release of SPIKE Prime has been delayed to early 2020. Teams that pre-ordered a set received notification today about the delay. The product listing on the LEGO Education website also says "Shipping beings early 2020" now.
                  Just saw the email. That's disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing the SPIKE Prime this season.

Comment

Working...
                  X