Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody have any problem with EV3 center button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have any problem with EV3 center button?

Hello,

The center button of the brick gets stuck, and we cannot power it on - this happened to us twice now. Specifically, on newly ordered Lego kits.

Lego Education has been helpful enough and they sent us replacement. However, just want to understand if this is unique to our team :-( .
    As a coach, I am wondering whether these brick buttons are so delicate, or is it a usage issue?

Thanks!

Re: Does anybody have any problem with EV3 center button?

We have three EV3 bricks and this has never happened that I know of.

Comment

I've never seen this happen. Maybe a Lego problem. Also, while snacks are great to help kids think sometimes, snacks and robots definitely don't mix.

Comment

Originally posted by tjhawkey View Post
        Also, while snacks are great to help kids think sometimes, snacks and robots definitely don't mix.
        +1

And keep snacks away from the field as well.

Comment

We have one where the power off button doesnt bounce back up. Fortunately it still works. We havent tried exchanging it, as it is a few years old.

Comment

Twice out of how many?

How is the button stuck? Is it stuck in the depressed position or is it hard to press?

Damien Kee had a problem with the reset button stuck down. He made a video showing how to fix the problem. No major surgery is required. Even if you don't want to crack open the case it is worth taking a look to understand why the buttons may not be working. To me it looks like rough handling, particularly side impacts, could easily dislodge the little metal springs behind the buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNoutMLxmJ0

Comment

Yes we did. I ended up taking the brick apart and found the little contact under the button was off center and once I tacked it down, no more sticking. It was actually pretty simple.
              Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
              Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
              https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
              http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                Twice out of how many?

How is the button stuck? Is it stuck in the depressed position or is it hard to press?

Damien Kee had a problem with the reset button stuck down. He made a video showing how to fix the problem. No major surgery is required. 0[/url]
                Thanks Dean, I hadn't seen that before.

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Two bricks - both of them had issues. Center button is stuck in the depressed position. It's just flat inside, and you cannot press and it doesn't bounce back up.
                  Cant hear it click like the other buttons.

We are a rookie team, and kids have just started to use it. I don't see any mis-handling or any rough usage within the team.

Comment

Originally posted by shailacdi@gmail.com View Post
                    Thanks for the link!

Two bricks - both of them had issues. Center button is stuck in the depressed position. It's just flat inside, and you cannot press and it doesn't bounce back up.
                    Cant hear it click like the other buttons.

We are a rookie team, and kids have just started to use it. I don't see any mis-handling or any rough usage within the team.
                    Possible manufacturing defect.
                    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

LEGORobotics Mr. Hino posted this useful YouTube video about "What To Do When Your LEGO EV3 Brick Is Stuck In Starting Mode & Won't Turn On": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nEACxznu2E

Comment

Mr. Hino also posted this YouTube video about "How To Fix Your LEGO EV3 Mindstorms Brick When It Doesn't Turn On": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcHvTNm280

Comment

I had this problem with one brick, asked LEGO education from where I bought it, they replaced the brick in a very fair way.
                          (+_+)(-_-)(_ _)

Comment

50% of our brand new bricks had this problem as well (but then we only had two! ;-) LEGO Education was very polite and prompt with a replacement for us as well.

Comment

We've seen both. We got a bad EV3 (center button didn't move at all) and Lego sent us a replacement.
                              Now some of our coaches have complained that the older EV3's buttons aren't working. I will have to see it the video helps.
                              Coach, FLL - Robot Rights 436
                              Mentor, FTC - Moderately Dangerous 6150

Comment

Working...
                              X