Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May have to swap out EV3. Need to reprogram everything?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • May have to swap out EV3. Need to reprogram everything?

    Our team's qualifier is this coming Saturday. Last night at practice the right button on the EV3 decided not to respond part of the time. This is fairly significant since they have a sequencer program and that button is programmed to initiate the second mission run. I was just in at the school again this morning and the same thing happened, so although it's intermittent, its apparently not going away.

    What would happen at this point if we swapped out the EV3 with a brand new one we have here as a spare? Is everything going to run exactly the same, or are there going to be variations because of the new hardware? Will this necessitate tweaking all of their programs? If that's the case it might be better to just deal with the intermittent problem and hope it doesn't affect everything too adversely.

    Opinions?

  • #2
    Any differences should be slight, less that what you will see running your robot on different tables. Think of it as a test. If swapping the EV3 requires you "tweak" the missions you've been warned that tournament day isn't going to be all sunshine and lollipops. Those brand new mats and models and tables will require a lot more tweaking, and you won't be given an opportunity to do so.

    The little springs under the EV3 buttons like to wander. I have one under my back button that is getting sticky. This can be repaired if you are willing to crack open the case. I think there are a few YouTube videos on the subject.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nedcook View Post
      What would happen at this point if we swapped out the EV3 with a brand new one we have here as a spare? Is everything going to run exactly the same, or are there going to be variations because of the new hardware? Will this necessitate tweaking all of their programs? If that's the case it might be better to just deal with the intermittent problem and hope it doesn't affect everything too adversely.
      If you have the parts for it, build a second robot around the spare brick. Your team will then have two robots that might look the same but will probably have slight differences in behavior. Try to get both robots to work using the same program. Doing so will help weed out any robot-specific tweaks/adjustments that have crept in.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dnb View Post

        If you have the parts for it, build a second robot around the spare brick. Your team will then have two robots that might look the same but will probably have slight differences in behavior. Try to get both robots to work using the same program. Doing so will help weed out any robot-specific tweaks/adjustments that have crept in.
        I don't think that's an option. Last night was our last practice before the QT because everyone's rest-of-the-week is full. The options are to swap out the brick and hope for the best, or chance the existing brick and hope for the best.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nedcook View Post

          I don't think that's an option. Last night was our last practice before the QT because everyone's rest-of-the-week is full. The options are to swap out the brick and hope for the best, or chance the existing brick and hope for the best.
          Just before an international championship, my team ran into something similar. We had to swap out our brick with only a couple hours before hopping onto the plane. That year, the brick was completely embedded in the robot, so about half of the robot had to come apart to get the EV3 out. We performed one test run with the new brick before heading to the airport. Some pieces didn't end up in the right spot, but the robot seemed okay.

          As Dean said, tournament day isn't (usually) all sunshine and lollipops. That was the case for us too: While our robot was good again, we blew out our rechargable battery on the higher European voltage (despite having a proper converter that is supposed to adjust voltage as well as plug shape). That required us to replace the battery with another, which meant they had to take apart the robot again.... Having taken apart the robot at home the day before gave the team the confidence that they could also replaced the battery. The tragedy at home helped them at the competition.

          My advice: take a lot of pictures of your robot before swapping the brick, especially if the brick is buried inside the robot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Reporting back. Swapped out the EV3 last night and went in to school at recess today to see what would happen. All missions ran as expected. What a relief! Thanks for the replies everyone.

            Wish us luck for Saturday. :-)

            Comment

            Working...
            X