How to report weird EV3 bug...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to report weird EV3 bug...

We have a weird EV3 bug that we have found.

Simply put - there is a separate thread that updates part of the screen with "dashboard" type information. In the main thread, the program puts some diagnostic text on screen.

The "dashboard" is all in large font. (Font 2) the program all uses the small font (font 1). Sometimes, the program putting things on the screen puts it at the right location but with the large font.

It is as if the "display" block is not atomic and is being interrupted between setting the font size and drawing of the text.

Anyway, what is the best way to report a bug like this to LEGO?

(And yes, I know the best practice is to only update the screen in one place and only have the main thread update a variable that is read by the updateDashboard myblock.)

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Try EV3Lessons. They seem to have a direct communication path to the LEGO software team.

Comment

alan412 Could you share with us a few more details:

1) What version of the EV3 software are you using - Home or Edu?
      2) What is the version number?
      3) Can you share the code?

There are two other possible bugs that we have encountered in V.1.3.1 recently (Edu edition). These are happening sporadically for us:

1) Changing MyBlock Name issue

In the past, changing a MyBlock name was not an issue. If you changed the name, it would get updated everywhere that the MyBlock was used. E.g. could change MoveInches to Move_Inches. In the new version, we changed the name of an existing MyBlock to remove an underscore in the name. The named updates in some places in the code, but in other places, shows a missing MyBlock error with the original name.

2) Disconnected wires

Using the new edit feature to delete an input or change the order of the inputs, etc. results in other wires (that should have been unaffected) getting disconnected in the MyBlock.

Has this happened to anyone else?
      EV3Lessons.com and FLLTutorials.com Founders
      FLL #51 World Festival Champion's 2018 (retired)
      FRC Not the Droids You Are Looking For (Rookie season 2020)

Comment

We see the problem with the Edu version (1.3.1) Let me go make a smaller program that has only that feature and share it.

We have seen problems with #1 and #2 as well. They have caused us to be VERY VERY careful about editing MyBlocks....

Comment

Before changing a LabVIEW vi I make two copies, place one in a safe and ship the other to an offsite location, preferably in another continent. Half the time I mess things up and need to revert back to the saved copy. It is so fraught with peril that I was glad when NXT came out and there was no way to edit a my block interface. Its one thing to make a mistake that messes up one program. That is disappointing but understandable and easily fixed. Messing up a my block interface can create mysterious errors that convert all your carefully crafted programs to rubble.

I find it funny that this is thought of as a bug. What programming language lets you change the interface to a module without having to change any of the code that uses that module? There are refactoring tools to aid this task, but that is because it is normally such a painful and error prone activity.
          Last edited by Dean Hystad; 01-02-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
            I find it funny that this is thought of as a bug. What programming language lets you change the interface to a module without having to change any of the code that uses that module? There are refactoring tools to aid this task, but that is because it is normally such a painful and error prone activity.
            It is usually trivial to change the name of a function/method/procedure in a language such as Java/C#/etc using a modern IDE, and have the change successfully propagate to all the touch points within a project. It is trickier to add and remove parameters, but it still can be done quickly most of the time. Combine that with good source control systems and automated testing, and many adults involved in FLL are quite used to casually refactoring code in a way that was almost impossible 20 years ago. When those adults encounter Mindstorms, it feels like going back in time to a more primitive era.

Those limitations in Mindstorms aren't necessarily a problem. Most kids in FLL don't know what is possible in a professional environment, so they don't realize what they are missing. For the kids that do know, it is probably time they move on to FTC or FRC. Impressive things can be accomplished using Mindstorms, but it is still just a toy intended to give kids a gentle introduction to programming and robotics. I'm not criticizing efforts to extend and enhance the Mindstorms programming environment. I love MyBlocks and I was sorry that the EV3 environment made MyBlocks slightly harder to use for many teams than the NXT-G environment. If people can make EV3 programming less painful, I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by alan412 View Post
              We have a weird EV3 bug that we have found.

Simply put - there is a separate thread that updates part of the screen with "dashboard" type information. In the main thread, the program puts some diagnostic text on screen.

The "dashboard" is all in large font. (Font 2) the program all uses the small font (font 1). Sometimes, the program putting things on the screen puts it at the right location but with the large font.

It is as if the "display" block is not atomic and is being interrupted between setting the font size and drawing of the text.
              I've tried unsuccessfully to reproduce this since since you first reported. Were you able to make a small program that demonstrates this problem?

Comment

Working...
              X