No announcement yet.

Which hardware/software to program ev3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which hardware/software to program ev3?

I am a new coach and trying to figure out what equipment my team needs.

Edit: apologies, my original post was somehow truncated. I don
    Last edited by mjankowski; 08-13-2018, 10:54 PM. Reason: truncsted original post.

I'd recommend downloading the EV3 Mindstorms software:
    https://education.lego.com/en-us/dow...s-ev3/software

and installing it on either a PC or a Mac.

Comment

For a brand new team the best deal is to purchase the EV3 and expansion kit through FLL. This gets you an EV3 with the most useful sensors and enough plastic parts to build a robot and some fun attachments. FLL robots are allowed up to four motors, so you might want to purchase an extra medium or large motor, or maybe two large motors.

Some teams really like NXT motors. These can be had fairly cheep, and used NXT kits are a great source of extra plastic parts.

As for software, unless you are part of the software pilot program, you really only have one choice; EV3 Education version. If you are part of the pilot program you have other choices, but for a new team, especially a young team, I would stick with the EV3 Education version.

Comment

Dean, I'm curious, why are you (seemingly) specific in advocating the Education version? I didn't see much difference between them, other than cost. We simply download the Home version onto multiple computers, add in the extra sensors, and use that. The kids (one in particular) were able to do some pretty advanced programming with it; it didn't see like they were missing much. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by rjbell4 View Post
          Dean, I'm curious, why are you (seemingly) specific in advocating the Education version? I didn't see much difference between them, other than cost. We simply download the Home version onto multiple computers, add in the extra sensors, and use that. The kids (one in particular) were able to do some pretty advanced programming with it; it didn't see like they were missing much. Am I wrong?
          The education version comes with the robot educator lessons, data logging, and support for all sensors. Back when you had to pay for the education version and the home edition was free it made sense to go with home. Now I see no reason for an FLL team to not use the education version.

Comment

Originally posted by rjbell4 View Post
            There is another important difference in the two versions -- the Education version comes with a rechargeable battery. Note that you don't have to get one via FLL; anyone can go the the LEGO Education web site & buy a kit.
            Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
            KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X