EV3 Helpful HInts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EV3 Helpful HInts

Q: When I open up a project all my projects and myblocks get opened in the editor. How can I stop that?

I'd like to start a thread dedicated to solutions you've found for nagging problems working with the EV3 software. Start each entry with a question like that above and follow with an answer like that shown below.

I'd like to start this thread with a solution to a problem that's been bugging me for weeks. When I open a project it opens almost all of the Programs, experiments, and MyBlock files in the editor. It is a pain because I have to close many files for the file tabs to be of any use. This problem has been solved by Dave A.

A: I have found that if you go to the project properties and un-check the "Show" buttons then save and exit. When it opens the next time, it opens immediately to the project properties screen and you can select the program you want to edit. Dave A.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM.

Re: EV3 Helpful HInts

Q : How can I change the name of a file or MyBlock?

This was the first problem I ran into running the software. The answer was simple, but I don't know how long it would have taken for me to discover.

A: Double click on the tab and you can rename the program, similar to renaming sheets in excel. bdwheele

Comment

If you can't figure out how to scroll the screen other than using the hand, hold the ALT key and use the left mouse to drag around the screen.

Seems so obvious now that I know, but I missed it at first and so did 20 kids and 5 adults at a boot camp I held for our FLL program yesterday.

Comment

Q : EV3 doesn't have a Motor Reset. How can I move attachments by hand in my sequencer program?

A : Use a move or motor block with the action set to stop.
        Last edited by Dean Hystad; 10-21-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Never mind. Found the thread on motor reset.
          Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
          KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Q : In port view how do I reset the rotation sensor.

A : Click on the port label.

Comment

Dean,

I am using port view directly on the the Brick....I am not sure how to click on the port label - I am thinking that works if you are looking at the Port View in the programming software.

Comment

Q: How can I reset the rotation sensor in Port View on the EV3?

A: Temporarily unplug the wire from the motor or port in question.
                Last edited by Dean Hystad; 09-04-2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Q: How can I quickly remove extra sequence wire and realign blocks?

A: clicking on the output sequence plug of a block will pull the blocks on the other end of the sequence closer so the blocks are touching. Kind of like a cord retraction. Clicking a second time will toggle some visible wire.

Comment

Q: The Bluetooth connection between the EV3 software and the EV3 brick was working, but now it's not. The software sees the brick, but when I try to connect, it tells me to ensure the settings on the brick are: Bluetooth=ON & iPhone/iPad=OFF. Rescanning for the robot finds it again, but it still won't connect.

A: The Bluetooth radio in the brick needs to be reset.

To reset the Bluetooth radio:
                    1. Go into the Settings tab on the EV3 brick (4th tab)
                    2. Select the Bluetooth item
                    3. In the pop-up, select the Bluetooth power item, this will uncheck the box.
                    4. Select the Bluetooth power item again to re-check the box. The button panel will flash orange while the radio resets.
                    5. Select the check mark at the bottom of the pop-up to exit back to the config tab.
                    6. In the EV3 software, click the refresh button in the robot connection panel (2 circling arrows).
                    7. When the robot name appears, check the box in the Bluetooth column to connect to the robot.
                    FLL Mentor/Coach 2006-2015
                    Founding Mentor for FRC 1759: 2006-2012
                    Founding Mentor for FRC 4999: 2016
                    FRC Field Supervisor, Los Angeles 2007-2016
                    Manager, Software Development, EMC Corp.

Comment

Q: explain comment behavior when inside the scope of a loop block.

A: It is apparently impossible to create a resizable comment block inside the scope of a loop block. If you click a place inside the loop block then click the comment button (or type ctrl-j) a tiny block prototype shows up. Moving the pointer cursor there fails to show the requisite resizing handle squares. I avoided this problem by creating a comment block outside the loop, resized, entered text, moved it into the loop scope successfully. I was left with a flock of tiny comment detritus that could not be selected for deletion. I ended up by moving the loop block away from its location, which left all the tiny stuff in place. Lo and behold, the blocks are now sizable and deletable as expected. Apparently they were never actually inside the loop, since they didn't move with it, but were being masked somehow by the loop "over" them.
                      Bill Bourn
                      Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
                      Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Q: Expansion of loop block scope explained.

A: Just dropping stuff inside a loop block will make it expand enough to hold what you put in there. You can get it bigger by using the little round handles that appear at its corners when it is selected. Hover cursor over a dot to see the diagonal double arrow cursor, then drag to change size bigger or smaller as you wish. You can also ctrl-drag inside the loop scope to expand or contract size of upper or lower extents. Gap between blocks can also be increased that way. Faster than finding those little dots.
                        Bill Bourn
                        Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
                        Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Q: My gyro sensor angle drifts. How do I fix that?

A: Temporarily switching to just "Measure Rate" and back to "Measure Angle" or "Measure Rate and Angle" not only resets the angle to zero, but also the rate. The reset takes 2-3 seconds. Make sure the robot remains still during that time. The gyro sensor Reset mode resets the angle but doesn't appear to have any effect on the rate.

Thanks to bdwheelie for this one.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Dean Hystad; 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                            Q: My gyro sensor angle drifts. How do I fix that?

A: Temporarily switching to just "Measure Rate" and back to "Measure Angle" or "Measure Rate and Angle" not only resets the angle to zero, but also the rate. The reset takes 2-3 seconds. Make sure the robot remains still during that time. The gyro sensor Reset mode resets the angle but doesn't appear to have any effect on the rate.

Thanks to bdwheelie for this one.
                            Consider adding a "WaitFor Gyro = 0" Block after resetting the rate (make sure to choose the same type as you're going to be using: Rate; Angle; Both). The Rate reset process takes about 3 seconds to complete and until then, the Rate and/or Angle values will return "not a number".

Terry
                            FLL Mentor/Coach 2006-2015
                            Founding Mentor for FRC 1759: 2006-2012
                            Founding Mentor for FRC 4999: 2016
                            FRC Field Supervisor, Los Angeles 2007-2016
                            Manager, Software Development, EMC Corp.

Comment

Q : How can I pass data into or out of a switch block?

A : Variables can always be used to pass data, but wires are often more convenient. To wire into our out of a switch block you must use Tabbed view instead of Flat view. It is a good programming practice for all cases to provide values for all wires exiting a switch block

Comment

Working...
                              X